Model:Cycles vs Yamaha Reface CS

Hi everyone,

I’ve been looking at getting my first hardware synth to have some tactile fun making synth patches outside of the DAW and had been looking at a reface CS. I like the limitation of the synth (I get bogged down in VSTs) and it’s sound pallet is exactly what I’m looking for (thick subtractive synths and possibility for some nice FM too). I realise it doesn’t have a sequencer which is an integral part of the Elektron experience.

However, now that the Model:Cycles has some out in a very similar price bracket I’m tempted to try this out rather than the CS. Had looked into a digitone as I like FM sounds and have wanted to try an Elektron but felt too expensive for a first piece of hardware.

If anyone has thoughts or experience with both of the synths mentioned I’d love to hear what you thought.

No experience with yamaha CS but being virtual analogy is a completely different thing.

If you want FM synthesis you have the volca FM which is a full 6 operator/1 part synth, the digitone a 4 operator/4 part synth and the cycles 4 operator/6 part groovebox.

The cycles is a wonderful sketch book but it would not be my choice if I wanted to go deep in fm synthesis. It is nice for getting ideas but if you want to add them later on to your daw you have to record the audio track by track.

A digitone maybe better suited for that because of overbridge.

The synth engine on the korg volca FM is way more complex than that of the cycles. I ended up selling it because of the patch/pattern limitation and at the end you have to rely to much on the computer for patch editing.

1 Like

judgin from all the demos I listened to, the Reface CS sounds very good for the price.
It also has a very immediate interface, where creation of sounds should be instand fun.
Note, that it has patch storage only via an ios app.
No sequencer, it’s focussed on being a keyboard instrument.
It has a looper though, which can be fun

The M:C, while generally being a synth and sounding very nice, is rather a groovebox. You’d work completely different with it compared to a keyboard synth.
The sequencer is a major part of it. It has 6 tracks, with drum and synth sounds, you can make full tracks with it.
While you can create drum and synth sounds with the Reface as well you need something external to record the stuff, if you want to make tracks with it.

The reface is 8 voice polyphonic, so great for chords and pads etc, while each track on the M:C is monophonic only…

So short answer - they are very different regarding usage

5 Likes

Reface CS would best be used in conjuction with an external sequencer as the looper is fairly basic. The sound quality is exceptional and the on board fx are great as well. It can make a great variety of sounds, a majority of which will fall into a sweet spot. I use mine for chord pads (juno style) but it can make some awesome, deep bass, and great with leads. 8 note poly helps to get chords and melodies working with ease. It’s very hands on and a great portable unit. FM is fairly limited on this unit, but it is there. The multisaw is the cherry on top.

The Model:Cycles is more of a groovebox that has an awesome Elektron Sequencer built in. All FM, so it will have a particular signature sound, but looks to have some flexibility for variation also. It would probably be difficult to have the M:C do poly stuff, other than working with the chord machine.

Two totally different pieces of gear. Portable Groovebox vs Portable Keyboard. Now that I think of it, these two units would probably pair extremely well. Run the M:C audio output into the Reface Cs’ input. Midi out on M:C to Reface midi in. Why not both? You could probably get them both for under $600.

6 Likes

Are you aware of the Reface DX?

4 Likes

Yes but looks like there’s too much menu diving which I want to avoid

1 Like

In case someone’s still thinking about this question, Model:Cycles and Reface CS are the synths I’ve had the most fun with so far. They’re very accessible and a lot of fun to use for a relative beginner like me, and I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend them to anyone looking for an excellent groovebox or a great straightforward synth.

If you want a groovebox, get the Cycles. If you want to play an instrument with keys, get the Reface CS. If at all possible, I’d recommend getting both, though!

A lot of people slag off the looper in the Reface CS, but I find it more than sufficient for my needs. It’s really fun to record a basic loop and then add more layers on top of that. Just remember to turn quantization on. The only problem I have with the CS is that you need an iPad/computer to save presets. Once you find a good sound, it’s very difficult to get back to it otherwise.

3 Likes

I have both. They pair quite well together. As stated by several people already, they’re totally different beasts. Neither are ideal if you’re looking for “classic” fm stuff though both can get your toes wet in the fm pool.