Model:Cycles Q & A with Ess

I think you probably can still use a parameter lock on an lfo to make the pitch sort of glide… I uses that on the digitakt quite a bit. Not sure if you can lock all the parameters of the LFO on the model series but I would suspect so and if no you could set up sound locks to do it. Over all its not as fun as playing with actual glide but there are also happy accidents that happen with it. With a digitakt I sometimes will set up the LFO so just the depth parameter needs to be locked to make various slides and then you just place the note you were siding to on the end of it. Sadly my Model:Cycles is still locked away in Fedex shipment hell so I can’t just test.

1 Like

You can p-lock the main LFO page parameters.
Just not the LFO setup page (reset, start phase, etc)

1 Like

Is there a MUTE MODE? I didn’t find it in the manual. The reason why I’m asking this is because I have encountered a MUTE MODE behavior 2 times but can’t repeat it again. This behavior occurred when I was in the Settings. All the Pads where lighted and I could Mute/Unmute them without holding the FUNC Button.

Anyone else?

2 Likes

it can be adjusted in the PADS submenu

craig asked @Ess about the same submenu. Please answer his other questions as well, if you work for Elektron.

Since this is supposed to be a Q&A thread for questions directed to Elektron, it would be helpful to clarify whether or not you work for Elektron.

Yeah, I’m waiting official confirmation on it. The manual isn’t too clear on the issue. It’s kind of a dealbreaker for me as I want to record near enough everything unquantised with the pads. @PekeDorty my specific question that explains it in more detail is just above :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

For anyone who wants to know about pad velocity:
Yes, you can change it in the pad menu.
BUT the pads are still not very sensitive, no matter how you set it. You have to hit real hard to get maximum velocity. Unless you set it to full velocity level which means the pads are always at full velocity level.

4 Likes

This would be a revelation with the model series. It would really REALLY open up the limitations of 1 lfo.

Slide is on the MD and MM…OT too?
Not sure why it got left behind on the newer boxes.

[gonna check manual. Haven’t used those guys for a little] edit: [checked manual OT = slide]

I think it would be great if you could set a reverb on a trigless, and it would pick up any tails.

OR
P-Locked reverb [for example] would be allowed to tail and not get cut off by the next trig.

How do you preview a preset sound (e.g a kick) in a sequenced pattern. The manual says it’s possible by holding down pad 1-6 but in my case it just plays the sound once.

Please avoid general questions that can be answered by the manual. I’ll answer them anyway, but my idea with this thread was more to give you some insight that can’t be found elsewhere if there was interest.

I’m sorry! I thought it was in the manual. We’ll (@eangman !!!) get onto that.

Yes/No. Can’t make any promises though!

No, it’s just that the Cycles doesn’t have any note stealing, and everything already being percussive a click here and there doesn’t hurt. Honestly the clicking issue of the Digitone is so exaggerated, if you turn up the attack on the envelope and don’t make long bassy tails it won’t be much of an issue - but we’re working on a mode which doesn’t re-use the same voice which should make it less ‘manual’ to avoid clicks.

Thank you!

No, we have no plans to add Direct Jump.

VDEP controls how much the velocity will control the track volume. It has nothing to do with the pad response. I agree that we should look into different pad profiles, I am also lighter with my touch.

There is no way to latch the mute mode, you have to hold down FUNC.

No, you have to load the preset to the track in order for the sequencer to use it. You can preview with the pads but that’s obviously manual playing.

20 Likes

Thanks for all the answers, @Ess. Super helpful! And a great look at the thought processes behind the machines we love :yellow_heart:

3 Likes

Thank you! There you go, straight from the maker. No one listened to me when I said , hey its no big deal, just tweak your envelopes. Anyway. Back over to Tom with the weather…

18 Likes

You should investigate then cause I’m not the only one who experienced a MUTE mode.

From the Model:Samples bugs Thread :

After further testing, this tends to happen if I hold the FUNC button for a second before I then hit/long hold the SETTINGS Button. It seems weird that this button combo would open a mute/unmute state on the T1-T6 keys

4 Likes

Glad to hear this

3 Likes

What is the core cpu on the Model:Series, at what clock speed?

Do you do all of the FM purely in assembler on the CPU or is there an FPGA /dedicated FM hardware to assist?

You talked about using 4 operators during your launch party speech - was that a personal/creative limitation or a hardware processing power hard limit, and did you end up sticking to no more than 4 op algorithms?

Is the FM linear, exponential, or a mix of both as needed?

4 Likes

Model:Samples

List of changes from OS 1.01 to 1.02

Bug fixes

Using [FUNC] + various keys to open multi choice windows put the device in MUTE mode. After pressing YES or NO to cancel the operation, the device was stuck in mute mode until [FUNC] was pressed again.

This was fixed on the M:S but it looks like this BUG is presently in the M:C.

Why not keep this great feature but with a different combination of Buttons?

2 Likes

The manual already mentions that the COLOR parameter controls the chord intervals but I could add some more details when it comes to how it changes between intervals, what inversions and such :slight_smile:

The LFO depth is indeed a high resolution parameter. It goes from -64.0 to 63.0 so it has a a resolution of 0.1 steps. WIll fix this in the manual so its more clear.

6 Likes

Thank you for your response. However, that’s not what the manual says. Might want to change that. (Paragraph 4)

“Press the [T1–6] pad of the active track while browsing to listen to the preset currently highlighted. You can also press and hold the [T1–6] pad to let the sequencer play the highlighted preset.”

2 posts were split to a new topic: Clicks