Model:Cycles OS 1.11 & 1.12: bug reports

I’ve done some intensive tests with the M:C.

The MIDI chain is : DT > M:C

I can confirm that the first Step is sometimes skipped. And when the first Step is skipped, I can say that this behavior is repeated 3 or 4 times in a row (if I press Stop, then Play). I didn’t notice that before because, for now, I always use the M:C by itself.

2 Likes

Thanks for confirming. Yeah, it’s odd behaviour for sure and hard to replicate exactly every single time. Happened to me the other day recording a live set. We just pretended it was part of the song haha.

1 Like

Have same issue with MonoMachine to M:S

Need to try switching midi sync to the midi ports, but trying to do midi clock sync (w. M:C as slave) + usb audio with Bitwig gets me many of the problems described in this thread. Sometimes audio dropout, sometimes extreme distortion, etc. Powering on and off sometimes helps, sometimes doesn’t.

Any clue on how high a priority Elektron is putting on fixing this?

I’ve no idea about its priority. You should send them a support ticket and ask them if they have an estimate time I guess. I had no issues when I switched to using the midi ports but I was slaving Reason to the M:C, so not quite the same setup as you describe.

2 Likes

If history is anything to go by (Overbridge …cough… cough…) we’ll prob. have to wait 2 years before it actually works as advertised…

I’ve been in touch with customer support. They are really responsive! :heart: Elektron folks!

So far they say they can’t replicate my issue, so I’m trying to help them with more specific pointers. Were they able to replicate yours?

AFAIK Overbridge is a monster project that required them to restructure their entire org, so I wouldn’t draw conclusions here from that case.

Customer support has been super responsive despite the pandemic. So far the bigger bottleneck seems to be that they can’t replicate the issue from my pointers. Trying to figure out how to better document the problem.

That’s good I’ve always had a great response from support! Ehh, so I never quite got around to that after I decided to sell mine.

I tried to record all 6+2 midi channels (all sequencer tracks plus the two extra tracks) to Ableton via USB. It seems like I can’t always record parameter changes. Sometimes it seems to work, sometimes not. If I use Control All to record e.g. myself tweaking Reverb Send, it doesn’t seem to record, at least not every time.

Moreover, when I play back the recorded MIDI tracks and control Cycles with them, and have e.g. recorded myself tweaking the Decay, the initial decay value is at 0 which is not what the track had originally. Only the movement of me tweaking the Decay knob is recorded accurately.

Model:Cycles also hangs completely quite often with this setup, so that it becomes unresponsive, and the only way to turn it off is to unplug the power.

Does anyone else have these issues?

In case anyone else is wondering this, I got an answer from Elektron that Model:Cycles simply can’t handle 6 channels of midi control all at once. What a shame.

2 Likes

I also get this and it’s bad. You have to stop what you’re doing almost 2 steps early. MD was much more forgiving about this.

1 Like

I don’t have this issue with AR =>MC

Not sure if this is a bug or what but whenever I save and name a new pattern i hit the blue encoder to save and then I come to a “Mute Mode” option. I can mute and unmute things without hitting the function button. Hitting “func” gets me out of this mode. Anybody else experience this?

2 Likes

I just got my Model:Cycles and ran into an issue pretty soon, but I didn’t find the problem in the web:

• turn on GATE-Mode
    When pushing or swiping the TRIG-buttons fast upwards the last note sometimes keeps triggered endless - there will never be a decay.

Demo:

(i couldn’t reproduce it downwards)

Is this a bug on my unit or a general issue?

It’s been observed before. No word (that I know of) on wether it’s a bug or feature.

it’s quite a challenge to replicate, but indeed I eventually managed, so it’s not your unit - it’s possibly something they’ll be able to look at (I’ll mention your video behind the scenes), but you’d have to officially report it if you think it’ll continue to trip you up … do so via the Elektron website by raising a ticket on your account

4 Likes

Hello,

Sometimes I can not turn off some of the keys(or delete what I recorded by pressing a key) after recording.When I hit number 1 nothing happens.But if I turn 2 on and off, later I can turn off number 1.Same thing happens to some other keys as well.Does anyone has the same issue?

Thanks.

Yes!! I came here now just to see if anybody had this problem :slight_smile: I have the same issue, but it crashes even when I’m not using ableton. I have a Deepmind 6 and sometimes when they are MIDI kissing each other Cycles decides to crash. This didn’t happen in the beginning when I started to use it, but now and then it happens sometimes and its a pain.

I still couldn’t figure it our exactly what causes it… it’s kind of random. It’s like at some point he cannot handle to MIDI ping pong with external devices.

I replied to my own comment, that I asked Elektron about it and it seemed like there was too much MIDI data going in to the Cycles. I was sending note and MIDI CC data on 6 MIDI channels. Do you only want to sync them or are you trying to do more?