Model:Cycles only music

May I ask if this is a live-recording or done track by track?

1 Like

Hi all!
Just published an album on both bandcamp and soundcloud…

All of the tracks were crafted and almost full recorded, mixed and twicked on hardware: Roland Sp404mk2 and Elektron Model:Cycles (the cycles played live with Control All, mutes, etc…)

You can visit the full album here:

https://soundcloud.com/theyarerobots/albums

And these are the 2 songs where I play the Model:Cycles the most:

THE MOON OR MOSCOW

It’s 99% Model:Cycles played live, just added a sampled voice over on top and that´s it:

They Are Robots · The Moon Or Moscow

TRIB/077

And this one is mostly Model:Cycles, added some sampled voices, a background of a field recording I did in a countryside walk, and some sampled acoustic drum kit as well:

They Are Robots · Trib:077

Hope you enjoy it!

7 Likes

It is a live recording, done in one pass (ie no overbridge). I have been recording this way for around 7 years now, dating back to when I first got into eurorack. I guess the idea is to have my recordings as close to what I’m doing “live” as possible.

2 Likes

Another one, what a fun little box

7 Likes

made a remix using M:C only (apart from a few samples from the original track):

3 Likes

Love it. I’m still kinda new to this, but that’s made the most sense for me too. It feels real and in the moment.
Not knocking it for people that like to edit and polish their recordings of course. Just that takes time and skills I’m just not into.

1 Like

I usually don’t get past a single looped pattern with my m:c projects, just happy this developed into a more finished thing

19 Likes

lovely

1 Like

this is my new album, made with Model:Cycles.

8 Likes

This track is my contribution to the international droneday 2022.
I used Elektron Model:Cycles as the sound source and Bespoke modular software as the sequencer.

14 Likes

As much as I want a Syntakt, I’m amazed at the melodic capabilities and what the Cycles can do. Maybe it’s because I’m new to making electronic music, but I haven’t had so much fun with music in years.

9 Likes

(″ロ゛) Sleepless drive in Scotland
Hi!
I paired the M:C with the Digitone for this week’s Hardware Jams’ challenge.
I hope it’s ok to post this jam with the M:C’s big sister!

The idea was to jam over a short story and choose the guy the narrator should pick for help.
I hope you’ll like it!

6 Likes

My final Model:Cycles submission. :cry:

I’m not giving up making music or anything. Just can’t justify keeping the MC with the Syntakt around.
Really made me love the Elektron workflow and it’s the synth that got me involved in this community in the first place.

15 Likes

Some Model:Cycles pattern (Electro / Dub Techno / Minimal) with custom made patches

13 Likes

All M:C album :slight_smile:

10 Likes

My latest, all on the Cycles.

Hard panning the chord machine on two tracks (with slightly different LFO settings) has helped me get closer to the sound I desire.

Still very much a newb, but I like the results much more!

8 Likes

Aloha all! Here is an EP I just released made almost entirely on the M:C. I used some field recordings and a couple of other synth sounds for touches but I hope you all enjoy it.

11 Likes

Can I ask about the post-processing? (In general terms if you wish.)

Yeah! Thank you for checking it out. I recorded straight from the M:C into GarageBand actually. I chopped it up a bit there and then added a few samples and virtual instruments for texture. Then I used Landr for the mastering. It took a few tweaks and there are still several things I would change about the final product, but I am trying to get out of my own way and actually release stuff after a long drought.

3 Likes

I can hear the added samples and other instruments, but is there warming, compression, that sort of thing? There’s a nice space in these pieces, which I don’t hear in a lot of M:C material. [Edit: that’s probably Landr, but I know nothing about laptop mastering.]

1 Like