Model:Cycles + Novation Launchpad Pro MK3 + Ableton Noise Issue [Resolved]

Hi fellow Elektronauts,

So, I’ve encountered quite an annoying problem when I started using my model:cycles to sequence ableton’s max4live instruments. I’ve only used my novation launchpad pro to control my model:cycles’ pattern change for full hardware usage only and this is my first time plugging my model:cycles’ usb cable to my computer to sequence ableton.

While I succeeded in using my model:cycles as ableton sequencer using usb midi out. Whenever I activate my launchpad pro’s custom mode with my model:cycles connected to my macbook via usb, it’ll start to introduce noise. Mysteriously, if I turn it back to session mode, the noise disappear. I’ve tried to change my model:cycles midi settings and also midi+audio usb mode to midi only to no avail. Also, when I plugged my macbook power to my usb-c dongle, the noise gets insanely high.

To be clear, here is the way I connected my current model:cycles+launchpad pro+ableton setup:
Launchpad Pro connected to usb A port of my usb-c dongle to macbook and aux midi out to model:cycles.
Model:Cycles connected to usb A port of my usb-c dongle to macbook and stereo out to audio interface (audient evo 8)
Macbook M1 power plug to usb C - PD of my usb-c dongle (used up all usb-c ports on my macbook because of my audio interface connected directly with usb c cable to my macbook + usb-c dongle to connect everything else)

Is there any possibility of feedback loop noise with this setup? I haven’t got any issue using my launchpad pro+model:cycles combo in full hardware mode. It’s only present whenever I connected my model:cycles to ableton. Would really appreciate any help given. Thanks in advance everyone :pray:

I’m not expert on ground loop noise, but I am thinking that’s what’s introducing noise.
Somewhere in the chain the USB is responsible.
I’ve had similar issues, for me it tuned out my monitor plugged into the HDMI was creating noise when I plugged in and USB to my audio set up.

Are all of the power sources in your set up plugged into the same outlet?
Might need some kind of ground lift in your set up, but before going that route it’s important to figure out exactly what’s causing it.
My guess is it has something to do with the USBc power

Thank you for the kind response. So far, the only thing that is introducing noise other than my macbook’s power plug is only, whenever I activate my launchpad pro’s custom mode. Other than that, I haven’t encountered any other noise issue. What I don’t quite understand is, how the noise get into model:cycles stereo output? I wouldn’t mind the noise if it’s only affect usb audio and not my audio output, but I’ve changed the usb mode to Midi only & it’s still introduce noise that goes into my audio interface :cry:

I even tried to use my zoom ms70cdr’s ZNR noise reduction & the noise persists.

Keeping all usb plugged in, what happens when you unplug the Mac and it runs on battery?
What happens when you just unplug the USBc power?
I would unplug each separately and see that where that noise is introduced.

Also try plugging the Mac power or any other power intro different outlets.
Also check everything else plugged into anything. Try as many combinations as possible.

Try things that don’t even seem related

Thanks for this advice! It helped me solved a part of the problem. At last, a progress.

I think it’s either my launchpad pro or my model:cycles or maybe, because they’re plugged to the same place. I’ve tried to unplug my launchpad pro’s midi out aux cable with which directly connected to my model:cycles’ midi in while leaving the usb plug intact & the noise persists. Then, I tried to connect my launchpad pro usb to my phone charger plug for power & the noise disappear. Kinda sad though, because I still want to use my launchpad pro to do things to my ableton while connected to my model:cycles.

About the power plug, it still does make nasty noise when it’s plugged together with model:cycles’s usb. But it’s okay, I can still record stuff without my power plug attached.

1 Like

At some place you could possibly introduce a ground lifting device, possibly some kind of adapter or a usb cable with noise cancellation ends.

Again I’m not proficient in all of this, but my guess is it’s mostly due to part of the power.
So having some kind of power plug adapter with a ground switch may solve the issue.
It’s just important to figure out exactly what and where to add something to solve the problem.

I imagine someone with more knowledge will chime in eventually

1 Like

For someone who admits to not be proficient with this stuff, you have been super nice and helpful. I really appreciate you for spending your time here with fast and kind responses. Thank you very much @bodymechanics :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes::pray:

After loitering around google and other forums to find general noise issue from midi over usb. I found something called ‘usb isolator’ that said to help combat usb noises. Might try that option and hope for the best. I’ll update this thread with new information if I ever find the way to fix this issue. Meanwhile, I’ll also wait for more responses from other fellow elektronauts.

Thanks again @bodymechanics

1 Like

Make sure you are using the longer power cable included with your MacBook power brick.
The short adapter is not grounded, while the cable is.

Thanks for this info @Scyphozoa . I’ll check on my macbook box if I haven’t lost that cable.

As promised here I’ll update the solution to this issue. Indeed, the solution to eliminate those pesky noises is by using a usb isolator. I’ve tried it and it eliminate all noise even when I plug my macbook power cable to the same usb-c dongle, where my model:cycles’ usb + usb isolator combo is plugged in.

The type of usb isolator I bought is called: USB to USB Isolator Board Protection 1500V ADUM3160 USB 2.0.

I hope this information will help those who also deals with the same issue. Thank you for everyone who has contributed to help me with sound advices in this thread.