Model cycles - newbie

Hi!
Model cycles newbie here, trying to figure out a few things.
as I work on a pattern and I want a variation of that pattern (like changing the base chord but keeping all the rest) I usually copy the whole pattern to a new one and make a variation.
The problem is that if I change one track instrument, this change only reflects on the current pattern.
What is the workflow for actually creating a song but have the variations, while keeping consistent instruments all the way through?

1 Like

Hi @xRickyx! Welcome to the Elektronauts!

There is no way for changes you make on one pattern to be propagated to other patterns. This is a limitation of the ‘Model’ and ‘Digi’ series.

On the larger flagship devices, this is achieved with ‘Kits’ (A4 and AR) and ‘Scenes’ (OT). On those devices, each pattern is assigned a Kit or Scene. Certain parameter changes within a pattern using the same kit/scene are reflected across all of those patterns.

I sent in a feature request to Elektron for a feature called ‘Pattern Grouping’; a means to assign a pattern to a group so that the same behavior could be replicated on the Digi series. I didn’t get anything but the standard auto-reply unfortunately. I think it’s something I’ll re-submit again though as it’s just the one thing that really makes doing multi-pattern songs very challenging to do.

Hi & welcome!
Although not the most immediate, best way to do this would be to copy the track sound you like in the other patterns.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply! Exactly what I meant. My problem with this is that when you play live and move to the next pattern, the change is going to be noticeable…
I mean, not a huge deal breaker, but a little annoying.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s a little annoying. You kinda have to anticipate the sound of the next pattern. Or use the instant change in sound intentionally to create a vibe shift.