Model:Cycles Feature Requests Thread

Anti-mute/inverse-mute mode.

Where you can toggle on or off the opposite of how the mutes work, per track (vital!)-

Instead of pressing the track button and temporarily muting that track, the track is silent and only plays when the track button is pressed.

eta…could even be when you mute a track it goes into ‘touch to play’, opposite of when playing ‘touch to mute’.
But switchable in the setup menu.

I think it would be cool to have a song mode and a keyboard fold option on the M:C like on the other Elektron boxes

3 Likes

Velocity as an LFO destination would be sweet for midi tracks.

Or is this already possible with a hidden feature?

If it’s hidden, it’s pretty well hidden :wink:

I) As the most requested feature BY FAR for both Model products, we would like to have a ATTACK control. This is also, in my opinion, the easiest upgrade to make on both Model:Samples and Model:Cycles as they both share the same layout and therefore have the exact same button combo being devoid of any function.

This combo is: FUNC +MAIN VOLUME, the main volume knob has only one function and does not have macro control when using the FUNC modifier. Which means it is the perfect candidate for the ATTACK parameter.

FUNC + MAIN VOL. = ATTACK control

II) Keyboard Scales/Fold on the TRK MENU, it even has a blank spot for it. Seems pretty straightforward, this is also a parameter that you would be less likely to modify in a LIVE situation which makes it ok to be behind a bit of menu diving.

TRK MENU = Keyboard Scales/Fold

III)PERFORMANCE/SONG MODE. The models are obviously made for jamming, these features make sense for this purpose. They are also available in all other digi boxes right now.

IV)The 7th Machine that Ess hinted on almost making it into the Mode:Cycles with a very different design from all other machines. Was this machine put into the Syntakt? If so can we also get it as it was originally made for the Cycles? The Machine Menu seems to have enough spot to add 2 more dots for 2 machines anyways.

V)Portamento/Slide feature, also hinted by Ess as being discussed but ultimately not included.

That is about all if we want to keep the minimalist One func per knob design.

11 Likes

Damn, you captured all of the features that I think about at night… I really do hope we could see at least some of these in the not too distant future. Keyboard fold and attack time would be the most important for me.

2 Likes

same

I am dreaming of attack time every night it’s almost haunting me at this point hahaha.

I am hoping for something before the summer hopefully, now that they put so many new things in the syntakt it is only fair its little brother gets a little love aswell!

1. more flexible chord machine or second version with more spread voices to two octaves, that controls both attack and release so we don’t need to waste LFO for slow attack

2. Audible trigs: ability to hear note without playing the track

3. Direct trig for Pan without a need to use LFO

2 Likes

I imagine this is the typical behaviour of a newbie; loads of feature requests without really delving deep enough to figure workarounds! Heh, bite me :smiley:

A:B trigs are great but I would also like a NOT A:B trig, in that a set trig doesn’t play, if true.

1 Like

I would like something in between the two current lfo modes of free running and resetting with every note.

I would like the lfo to free run but to reset every time the sequencer is started so you can have long synced sweeps.

Currently free running really is just that and while useful in its own way, the ability to have longer sweeps start and continue consistently, would be fab.

1 Like

If you’re not actually using velocity on that track, there’s a feature/hack that lets you reset the LFO when you want. I think, anyway. Pretty sure that’s a part of the time-stretch hack that’s used for model:samples. It’s based on using the pad menu to set Dst: MODE (meaning LFO mode)

EDIT: Found the link -> Model:Samples Tips & Tricks Thread - #38 by kraster

2 Likes

Oooh, lovely!!!
I’ll have a play with that later.

Many thanks :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

all of this has likely been mentioned many times but i would honestly be totally satisfied with keyboard fold to scale and an additional melodic/tonally-oriented machine or two.

one of the biggest weaknesses of the m:c sound engine is that it gravitates much more towards being a drum machine than an actual groovebox- some basic measures to balance it out would do a lot to elevate the machine.

2 Likes

I agree wholeheartedly with this. I was initially kind of disappointed with the M:C as a standalone groovebox and almost considered selling it before I “demoted” it to being a drum machine when I got a Digitone.

Something based on Syntakt’s SY Bits would be a great addition and expand the Cycles’ sound palette considerably.

1 Like

Dovetailing with the above is a common Syntakt feature request that would greatly benefit both ST and M:C (especially with another machine or two) in the melodic department: poly chaining.

The ability to have, say, a plocked drum track, mono bass track, and a 4-voice polysynth would transform the Model:Cycles.

2 Likes

I consider M:C as a drum machine with bonus synth features. In this case, the fact there is only one decay enveloppe makes more sense. Like Presteign, I own a M:C and a Digitone and I think they’re doing a great job together with M:C as a complex FM drum machine and Digitone as a complex FM synth.
I think the most “urgent” improvement could be a new machine focused on clap (it’s actually very very difficult to make a good sounding clap on this machine), maybe another one old school FM (à la OPL3) drum oriented (with really lo fi and crunchy sound, aliasing, etc…) and a way to do trig preview.

100% this. They marketed the M:S as a sample based drum machine but marketed the M:C as a FM groovebox yet it really is 90% about percussive sounds…

Which is why ppl started thinking of it as a drum machine, but in that case ppl would have happily traded the chord/tone machines for noise/clap machines right? So it kinda sits awkwardly in between being a very percussive box and trying to be more of an actual groovebox.

If somehow they could add 2 tonal machines we would end up with 4 drum machines and 4 tonal machines which would create a nicer balance of different sounds for the product.

There are lots of ways to make claps on the M:C involving chords/tone machine…

Why another percussive machine when they already make 80% of the sound palette of the M:C?

1 Like

Just because 67% of the machines are percussive, doesn’t mean the sounds made by your tracks have to be 67% percussive, does it ? (Actually, given you can make nice basses out of the kick machine, even 67% is not accurate).

What would these new tonal machines be, given the scope that M:C is FM based ?

But, isn’t that outside the scope of M:C being FM based ?

1 Like

you can make decent tonal stuff out of any machines, but still, it is designed around percussive sound. Lack of attack control, the punch parameter and the machines show that intent very well.

I would love some SID-like machine, chiptune oriented, think it would fit the M:C sound palette quite well.

Could also get some more beefy stuff like the SWARM machine from the Syntakt which is digital based.

A lot of complains could also be adressed by a Noise machine that could be use to layer textures on a tonal sound/Melody or create more percussive sounds like snares/hats.

The SY Bits is a Digital machine exactly like the tone machine is and the chord machine is aswell.
Theorically, if the controls were reworked to fit in the 4 parameters of the M:C, you could get SY Toy, SY Bits or SY Swarm.