Modal in difficulty '23 : restructuring mid '24

Seems that Modal have fallen on hard times.

Administrators have been called in.

2 Likes

Could the “Appointment of an administrator” regard the “Compulsory strike-off action” ?

Since the detail on the appointing the administrator is yet to be posted, this doesn’t necessarily represent insolvency. Unless you have other info.

This record does indicate a bit of a mess though. But Modal has been a mess for a long while, since the double 00 products, and musical chairs with their engineering department and product direction. They have gone on/off with Eurorack products at least twice.

Anybody want to linkedin any of their engineers, and see if they still work their.

ADDED :

That’s a shame

I had an Argon and it was a lovely synth, but the Skulpt and Craft synths seemed to be permanently out of stock and buggy as hell.

Strange. I have a Skulpt, it’s not half bad, but it’s not my favorite.

The owners’ll be along soon with a kickstarter for a new synth project i bet - any takers? :grin:

Ah. I was really considering a Cobalt 8 this week… maybe time to consider something else.

I had to search ‘‘struck off’’ and this is what came out :

What does you’ve been struck off mean?

If someone with a responsible job such as a doctor or lawyer is struck off, they are officially not allowed to continue in that work because of having done something seriously wrong:

SOMETHING SERIOUSLY WRONG?

not the same thing. if a company is struck off it pretty much means it’s no longer trading and isn’t filing its paperwork

5 Likes

Nah it’s just ”domain lingo”

2 Likes

Google this.

A compulsory strike off means that your company has been removed from the official register at Companies House and formally closed . It’s sometimes referred to as dissolution and tends to be issued on the grounds that the company in question is no longer trading or has failed to conform to legal requirements.

2 Likes

Ah, ok, thanks for the clarification!

Expected this thread to be about Modal producing a browser app powered by AI.

Can’t say I’m surprised, although I can’t say why I can’t say I’m surprised, I just can’t say I’m surprised.

15 Likes

I thought they were just about to launch a new synth!.?
I blame Brexit (for just about everything)

3 Likes

The Carbon8 – thread
Modal’s American distributor just had a demo video released for the Carbon8. See that thread.

1 Like

Maybe the opposite - get one now!

That’s a real shame, hate to see it happen. I absolutely love the Cobalt 8, fantastic synth

That’s a real shame and always sad to see these companies go under

1 Like

How usable is the sequencer? That’s may main hangup.

They’ll be back i guess - in a different shape perhaps but these people never leave the industry :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I like it. Though I tend to record sequences ‘live’ with it rather than program it. But my real love of it comes from some of the beautiful sounds it can make. I think beauty is what the synth excels at, for me.

1 Like

Soon to become the most expensivest, sought after unobtainium mega synth of legend.

6 Likes