MK2 AED button not working

Hi Everyone,

Can someone with a MK2 try this.

1. Create 2 patterns
  2. Assign Part 1 and Part 2 to them respectively
  3. Make Track 1 Active (works best if track 1 is a flex machine with different samples assigned)
  4. Press the AED button and note which sample it’s looking at
  5. Switch patterns, and press the AED button again

On my OT, this shows the wrong sample.

Best regards,

Gino

it is a bit annoying sometimes but i dont think it’s a bug per se…just get to your sample slot list and highlight the sample you want to edit, and then hit FUNC + BANK is the way i do it

Might this be a Parts saving issue?

i.e. If you ran through the test steps, but didn’t explicitly save both Parts, then changing patterns back and forth might not retain the Part-sample connection.

I vaguely recall that Parts behave similarly to AR Kits - you need to save them explicitly if you’re working with more than one, because only the “current” one gets auto-saved (whenever auto-saving occurs).

Also… I can’t repeat the bug, using a fresh project.

I didn’t save my Parts. That suggests my previous comment isn’t relevant.

2 Likes

Interesting, thanks for testing this. I’ll have to try it with a fresh project tonight.

Edit: I tested this on a fresh project, and it works just fine. So now I need to figure out why it happens on my project template. My guess is that it has something to do with when you set a flex track to playback a recording buffer. That is when I notice it the most. I record something, then hit the AED button and it’s blank.

I can confirm the AED button will take you to the record or play buffer depending on what you had open most recently. Don’t know if it’s a bug or intentional. For example:

1. [REC] + [BANK] opens record buffer for current flex machine
  2. [NO] close editor
  3. [AED] re-opens record buffer not playback buffer
  4. Push [TRACK] on the current buffer
  5. [AED] will now open playback buffer
3 Likes

Thanks! I hadn’t fully appreciated the difference between record and playback buffers, and that the AED could inspect both, and that they’d differ. I can see I need to re-read the manual (again).

13.1 ACCESSING THE AUDIO EDITOR

Press [AED] to access the audio editor. The audio editor can also be accessed in a number of other ways.

13.1.1 ACCESS FROM THE QUICK ASSIGN MENU

Open the QUICK ASSIGN menu by double-clicking a [TRACK] key. In the Flex or Static sample slot list, select the sample you wish to edit and press [FUNC] + [BANK] to open it in the audio editor.

13.1.2 ACCESS FROM THE SRC SETUP MENU

Open the SRC SETUP menu of a track containing a Flex or Static machine by either double-clicking the [SRC] key or pressing [FUNC] + [SRC]. Then navigate to the Flex or Static sample slot list, select the sample you wish to edit and press [FUNC] + [BANK] to open it in the audio editor.

13.1.3 ACCESS FROM TRACKS AND TRACK RECORDERS

By pressing [TRACK] + [BANK] the sample assigned to the machine of the track will be opened in the audio editor. Note that the track must contain a Flex or Static machine for this shortcut to work.

Samples captured by the track recorders can be opened directly in the audio editor. First select the track whose recorder buffer should be edited by pressing the relevant [TRACK] key. Then press any of the [REC1/2] keys + [BANK] to open the recorder buffer sample in the audio editor.

The audio editor can also be accessed from the RECORDING SETUP EDIT menu. Access this menu by pressing [FUNC] + [BANK] while either RECORDING SETUP menu is active.

FWIW, I find the manual too terse. It’s so dense that I can only take in a very short amount at a time before needing to go and practice (a lot) with that one chunk.

2 Likes

No kidding. What I outlined above is nowhere in there for example. I don’t think they ever really give a name to the non-record buffers. “Playback buffer” is a name I gave them once that became clear in my head. I guess I’m supposed to call it “flex sample slot”? Idk, there are 45 seconds of flex memory reserved for each flex machine for playback and 16 seconds for recording by default, I call the playback memory the “playback buffer”. I find the concept helpful. :man_shrugging:

Also, in your extract all the places that say [FUNC] + [BANK] should be replaced with [AED] in the MKII manual except the last one which should be replaced with [FUNC] + [REC3].

1 Like

Nice! I think this could explain why this is happening.

What happens when the record buffer is set to the same flex machine? For example: Track 1 > Recording Buffer 1.

I would think this would always open the recording buffer, but now I’m wondering.

I would expect this to be the case.

I don’t often assign Flex/Static slot samples to machines. More often I assign the record buffers. If I want a particular sample played by a trig, I sample lock it. I am probably missing out on some really useful alternative workflows, tho’.

For the record, the extract is from the latest-but-one version of the OTmkii manual (so, only a few months out of date). I assume the old [FUNC] + [BANK] combinations still work. I always use [AED] tho’.

The latest from the site is still out-of-date in this section (13.1). [FUNC] + [BANK] works but is clearly worse than the dedicated button so should be listed only as an alternative IMO.

1 Like

Yes it definitely does this.

1 Like

This is the behavior I am seeing:

1 Like

I can confirm one bug, still working through the video. If you push [AED] just after turning on the OT you will see the editor for the wrong thing. I’m seeing slot 1 of my static machines which I don’t even have assigned to any parts… Makes no sense.

Steps:

1. Turn on OT
  2. Push [AED]

Result: I see a random buffer
Expected: I see the buffer of the selected track

Seems like the variable that stores what the editor should open is not initialized correctly on startup.

1 Like

Confirmed second bug. Changing parts leads to [AED] opening the wrong thing.

Setup: Assign T1 to different samples on part 1 and 2 then select part 1

Steps:

1. Turn OT off/on
  2. Push T1
  3. Push [AED] - should see editor for T1
  4. Push [PART] and assign part 2
  5. Push [AED]

Result: I see the sample from T1 part 1
Expected: I see the sample from T1 part 2

Edit: like the video shows, this behavior goes away after double tapping any track.
Adding step to turn OT off/on.

1 Like

Interesting. So that werks that way for the selected track.

What’s the result after double tap if you want to check another track, do you need a double tap that track button to then activate it?

Double tapping any track fixes everything for all tracks as far as I can tell, though I did not test every single permutation of course :smile:

Edit: Browsing the samples via SRC SETUP does not clear up the issue the way opening the QUICK ASSIGN MENU does.

1 Like

I submitted a support ticket for this issue and linked to it from the OT bugs thread just to be sure it’s tracked. Not sure of what’s normal procedure but not hearing from anyone from Elektron in here makes me nervous.

Elektron does not routinely monitor the topics here; the forum is mostly for discussion amongst users.

That’s the “normal procedure” for getting a specific problem addressed.

2 Likes