MK1 vs MK2 Sound

I am sure this has been discussed before, but I struggle to find info on it:

Is there any difference in the sound of the analog engines between the MK1 and MK2?

I am looking to buy a used MK1 and this question came up

Not according to the elektron blurb afaicr - they are identical electrically and no differences are declared, however, if anything, you’ll find threads discussing ways in which the Mk2 is not quite as consistent - it seems the Mk1 is delivering the same sonics more reliably, at least anecdotally

4 Likes

That’s great news!! Thanks for your reply!

From what I understand it was a problem related to his faulty unit.

Where’s the discussion on the filter differences, I’d quite like to read that. Also a little curious about the output jacks, one would hope they’d be comparable or better on a premium version, but I thought the gold plated metal jacks of the og were probably better spec than the plastic ones on the MK2. I was wondering if the change in chassis material forced a change there (galvanic corrosion), but the headphone out is metal

1 Like

Well, I find the mk2 sound to be quite more well defined in the low end. Mk1 struggled to get some of the ultra low subs that I get from the mk2 on the same settings. This is my experience from playing gigs at large scale sound systems, did not notice this in the studio.

1 Like

Compared with same sound system?

And were you coming out of stereo or indi outs?

Stereo outs.
@sezare56
No, not the same soundsystem, so not a 100% sure. I remember being genuinely surprised, I have this performance macro where the kick goes really low, hearing it for the first time on a large sound system on the mk2, and, whoooa. Earth shattering stuff.

1 Like

Yeah, as I remembered

1 Like

There’s too many variables to give an accurate comparison if it’s two different sound systems. Maybe the second venue has a better setup for sound?

2 Likes

It’s more like first five venues versus the last ten. (from when I recall using that kit with the kick performance modulation). And yes, they were all different sound systems, but I was surprised all the same. Could be that the first batch of venues had bad sound…

I was so excited when I got Mk 2 for the new features and all but I much prefer the sound of Mk 1 even with same samples and settings

Maybe it’s the form factor or sentimental value or something

Got rid of the Mk2, still rocking Mk1

Also unrelated but I can’t read those damn step buttons blinking all over the place without taking a moment. And why change the awesome rectangle design ?!

6 Likes

Today I brought to my apartment new mk2 and i was curious about differences in sounds with my trusty mk1. So I started to listen and compare a/b of them. And i was pretty shocked that difference is obvious. I always didn’t like some kind of boxy sound of mk1 and I used to live and work with it, but right after hearing how the same sounds sounds (sorry for my English), I started to think that my mk1 is a faulty unit…) and i think that here’s something with filter tuning, because with how samples sound is the same situation. Mk2 has lower bottom end and smoother high end. And low mids sounds pleasing. So, i was surprised a lot.

2 Likes

Seems to me some people will gravitate towards the more raw (?) boxy sound of the mk1 and some will like the slightly higher defined sound of the mk2? Same can be said by me kinda preferring the lower Rez sound of the Yamaha RM1X than the better quality Yamaha RS7000.Doubt theres much in it tho….BUT-theres always something quite charming about the first interaction of the gear.Before its been improved.Probly best to go for the better defined advanced version tho if in doubt ]

1 Like