MixWizard vs Zed

Hi there. I’m using a VLZ4 1642 Mackie and I’m really not into it. I generally mix ITB when working on final mixes, but I’m writing this as I kind of really miss the sound of my cheap old Zed10. It had an almost tape-like quality to it, in a way. Gelled sounds nicely, tapered off transients in a very chill way too.

Now I’m in no hurry to replace this, have a few other things in mind to buy before it, but I’d love to get that sound back to my DAWless jams, basic summing. The Mackie just sounds a bit… plastic, i guess, and I’m not feeling the pre-amps.

Also, the Zed was so much fun to overdrive, this Mackie is most definitely not. I know all of this is subjective, but I’m wondering what are the sonic differences between the Zed and MixWizards? I read somewhere that the WZ3 was a series to avoid, but the 4’s are ace.

Just wondering if it’s worth my investigation, or if it’s the inherent Zed sound I just really love (for better or worse) and I should just run what sounds good to me (i.e. go back to a Zed, though will probably be a Zed16 now).

Thanks in advance. Sorry if this is worded all weird, I’ve had a rough week. Brain hurts.

Oh FWIW, i don’t care about mixer FX and USB out and all that. And I don’t mind that this is about coloring my sound. I dig it.

1 Like

I have zed10, and now soundcraft epm12, i was comparing them the other day, and liked epm12 much better, it sounded more open and warm, nice eq. If that means anything to you.
But zed10s build quality is better, the epm is acceptable to, still not that good like zed.

Is the WZ3 considered inferior to the WZ4 sound wise? Related to preamp character? Or some other reason?

I guess I need to stop being surprised by things written on the internet!

I can’t recall where I read this, but I believe it was on GearSlutz. Searching for it. I might be trippin but i believe it was something about the actual build/parts used. Will report back in either case.

One thing re: this post… not sure how I missed it, but the Zeds have no direct out. R16, though super pricey, has ADAT i/o, though. At the moment this works for me but yeah… could be a deal breaker.

Yeah, if you do find anything, it’d be good to read.