Mixing Thoughts- Internal

Whats up everyone, I just wanted to do a quick write up of some tips that I’ve acquired over time.

The purpose of this is really to get a great ITB sound with OT and a Multitimbral synth. Many people, myself included are running this set up. I use a Waldorf Blofeld, but obviously a TI Virus or anything else like this is going to be extremely similar.

Generally, this is for the community but it also helps me collect my thoughts and maybe help others who are struggling. Originally I had given up on doing full in the box arrangements and mixes but I’ve had several breakthroughs in the past two weeks I’d like to share. Sorry if this information is redundant somehow with other peoples information.

Here Goes:

:alien:

-Rethinking track structure:

It helps to think of the Octatrack as a computer DAW for a second, especially if you are coming from that background. There are 8 audio tracks, and just like on your DAW, each is monophonic. However there is one big difference between this and your DAW, there are no busses.

Working with short samples and manipulating them is a big part of creating loops and further mangling, yet it is often the nature to think of some tracks as the “drum track(s)”, the “lead track(s)”. This methodology is perfect for a computer DAW since you have both unlimited monophonic tracks and unlimited busses and effects.

However with the OT this is not the case. Therefore it might be useful to rethink the tracks as hybrid tracks/busses. The P-lock system essentially allows you to place any sample on any track. Therefore we must take advantage of this. Make one track your “compression track” put any sound you want compressed and edit the settings per sound to get exactly what you want. You might want to have multiple of some of the more useful effect combinations. For example you might have multiple filter and delay tracks because they are quite useful.

In terms of arrangement this might not be ideal, but overall this has improved the sound of my songs coming straight from OT.

-START THE TRACK LEVELS AT HALF OR LOWER

This is simple enough, dont put max level as the starting point of the track. Give yourself head room.

-DONT USE THE MASTER TRACK- use a master PROJECT

This is going against the knowledge that many people who are more experienced than me have said. So why am I this retarded?

Again this goes back to the DAW analogy. Personally when I work in my DAW I don’t like anything on the master except maybe a limiter. This is really unnecessary on the OT.

In reality the best possible course of action is to record your entire song into a recording on the OT, use that file that youve bounced in another project. Now do a plays free track on T1 and make your next 3 tracks neighbor tracks. The chain that I use personally is 3 Parametric EQ, 1 Filter, 1 Dark Reverb, 1 Delay, 1 Plate Reverb and 1 Spatializer. Make the trig a one shot and let it play free.

That is my OT mastering chain. I set them by ear mostly, so on your own track play with the settings and chain, this is really just an example.

Now rebounce to audio in the same way as the first time. You can take this out of the CF card as a .wav straight into your computer.

I’ll add more as a I think of it. Thanks for reading my advice and I hope it helps you in some way.

5 Likes

This is great. I agree, once I came to realize the power of P-locking samples and neighbor machines, the OT became my new best friend.

I like to idea of recording in the box then master effecting. That’s something new for me to try.

Thanks again!

Thanks for sharing this. Interesting ideas. And I need a breakthrough in figuring out how to use the OT.

I especially like the idea of using the tracks for FX. Makes sense since sample locks exist.

I wonder if a mastering/fx part could be used instead of a new project. Then you could quickly flip from one part to the other.

I tried this, but I honestly need 4 parts for the arrangement.

You could try multiple banks but I already use multiple banks for sample manipulation.

However if those things don’t apply to you then of course use a part to do the mastering!!
:+1:

I’m a little looser than what you described, but:

I like to use cue out to resample. This lets you use bigger effect chains because you can resample onto track 5.

If you aren’t using it, I’d think 24bit has more headroom.

I really like to use parts because you can have one part resample into, for example, recorder 8, switch to another part and have recorder 8 playing back on multiple tracks with different effects, resample that, and then go back to your original part.

With resampling it ends up being the same as using a bus and printing to audio.

Never thought about the cut output to get a bigger chain. I don’t know that I need a bigger chain but that’s still sick. I love that there are so many ways to use the OT

Thanks for the awesome ideas (and to everyone else too, like the Cue Out resampling idea)!

Is it possible to do this with the OT alone though? Will the record buffer be big enough? Or did you mean recording to a different source?

I’m digging out many great Octa-discussions lately, thank you for all the input. here is something I do quite often

• when resampling I sometimes set up all track recorders to sample MAIN, then i jam and if i find a nice setting or transition or filter or whatever, i simply record that to T1 Rec-Buffer. The next time I find something, into T2, and so on…
    this way I fill all 8 track buffers, then “save all recordings”; and start from new. this way I get many iterations of the same loop/jam, and can decide later which were the best, maybe use them as a starting point. also this get’s me more comfortable with recording, and then maybe moving on to using Rec-Triggers to automate the process, for example via Pattern 1 trigger T1 Buffer, via Pattern 2 trigger T2 Buffer, and so on…
    via Pattern chain or Arrangement-Mode the “bouncing” can thus be automatised. combining this with the advice from jonah and it’s a nice and fun iteration afternoon ahead of you! (lol echoes from the past… 2013… when was that :wink:
1 Like