Mixers 2020

DAWs and (ADC and DACs) round trips of Audio interfaces , I want no part of. I want a analog signal path when I record to tape.

Also, the SSL SiX is kind of amazing.

2 Likes

there are different models (and different prices ofc)
signature 12 -> 2x2 usb
signature 12 mtk -> multitracks, all tracks on usb

3 Likes

Yeah you can call it in-line. it doesn’t have a comprehensive routing system. More of a summing mixer really. I’m only recording the stereo output, but there’s a lot more available for me to use that I’m not ready to invest in yet.

I didn’t hunt it down rather it just popped up locally, so I’m very grateful to have it. It’s about as small as it gets for a mixing “desk” but moving it was not fun lol

1 Like

THATS sexy :slight_smile:

That’s the one I’d get if I was gonna use a mixer hahaha

2 Likes

As much as I would love to have that Neve console from United Recording Studios, I feel that it might be a slight bit of overkill for my humble office. Speaking of overkill, the amount of gear that Bill Putman accumulated together in that studio is mind blowing. You could name almost any piece of classic outboard gear, or mic, and I’m almost certain you’d find it in that studio space.

FULLY OVERKILL!

It would never fit in my apt. I don’t even have enough gear to fill all those ins hahaha.
[along with…money]

pfffft, I use my trusty Allen & Heath ZED14, it‘s muuuuuch better than this piece of c…

I was undecided between the two, but then I went to the store and tried both out and the Allen & Heath just sounded SO much better immediately, no comparison.

:joy:

3 Likes

:slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m not down with mixers. Extra cabling…blech.
And I let the roadies do all the werk at the arena.

Well we are in 2020 but as stubborn as I am, I just ordered a second hand Midas 160 :slight_smile:
Routing looks promising, as EQ and all direct outs, sends, monitors, aux, inserts…
Waiting for it as we “speak”…
Was dead on Soundcraft 22MTK and then the Midas 160 showed up :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Good choice!

1 Like

Hopefully yes :slight_smile:
Can’t wait to try those EQ

2 Likes

Oh man, you’re in for a treat.

If you have a bunch of pedals and outboard, the connectivity is way beyond any MTK or Mackie. Insert point on every channel, every sub-group, 4 of the 6 auxes and the master. Need to load up on insert leads to use them though.

The EQ is “British”, so not very subtle, for good and bad. Just a little twist and the change is very audible. It is great for cleaning up mud and harshness. For boosting and enhancing, it’s a bit hit-and miss because the Hi and Lo shelf frequency is fixed and while the mid frequency is sweepable the Q is fixed, and quite narrow I suspect. The 80Hz Hi-Pass switch is also very useful if you record microphones at all, but also good in conjunction with the Lo EQ: Filter out the very-low end with the HPF and then you can boost bass from the EQ (on toms, percussion, arps, whatever) without clashing with your kick and bass.

3 Likes

@Joe_b
Thanks man :slight_smile:
Have been reading/watching a lot on Midas boards.
I was really into multitracking but I suppose I will still track 1 by 1 or more at the same time.
Can’t wait :slight_smile:

Edit: could not justify the 320 spacewise and as I could not find a 240, well 160 it will be :wink:

1 Like

You also have a direct-out on every channel. If you open up the desk there should be DIP switches to configure those as pre or post.

1 Like

Nice :slight_smile:
No soldering required?
BETTER :slight_smile:

1 Like

Looking into this right now :slight_smile:

Have started to sketch out the routing:
Volca KICK, BASS, KEYS, FM and MicroFreak on 5 mono channels.
Deepmind 12, Novation MiniNova, Digitakt and a VSTi/DAW Tracks (through MOTU Main 1/2) on 4 stereo channels.
Aux1 for Zoom MS70 CDR
Aux2 for BOSS DDR7
FX1 for VST effect Reverb (Raum) i/o MOTU
FX2 for VST effect Delay (Valhalla FreqEcho) i/o MOTU

Will have to look into a patch bay now for the direct outs…

2 Likes

I might give one of those Midas boards a shot at some point. They seem like a perfect small solution. Found a deal on an MTK22, which should be fine to mix my synths and whatnot :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Aha okay,
If I was simultaneously recording on all tracks at once, does that take more CPU?

I’m not sure yet. Hooked up the MTK yesterday and had a little jam with Octatatrack, Model:Cycles, Moog Subharmonicon and some eurorack. Just playing through it sounded very nice. Recorded all the tracks in via USB with zero issues. Then ran it back into the mixer from Logic with zero issues. Gonna test a few other things today :slight_smile:

1 Like