Mixers 2020

I never said anything re: live in that reply. And have always promoted a mixer for live.

But that wasn’t what I was debating.
It was ease of sound. The switch is not a good argument :+1:t6:

I’m extremely tired and suffering corona confinement derangement. I apologize

(Not sick, just going bonkers…touchy)

1 Like

I’m not really arguing whether a mixer is ‘better.’ I’m asking people who like using them which ones they like most and why

For live - Boss BX’s coz their preamps have really nice saturation, and the summing somehow sounds right - and they’re small.

For mixdowns, my mate’s 1970’s Cadac!

1 Like

Is there a modern equivalent to the Boss mixers? (Multiple stereo channels with faders).

The tascam model series is the only thing I can find with multiple USB I/o
More as in 2+ like the 24 has 22 ins over USB meaning I can apply diffrent daw effects to different channels. Are there other mixers like this?

1 Like

Soundcraft mtk do have all channel in or out via usb.

3 Likes

your conversion already outclasses what actual “pros” use, so what exactly is a “pro” level mixer supposed to be to you? transparent?

1 Like

Patchbay :+1:t6: :+1:t6: :+1:t6:

Love it

6 Likes

I work exactly same way- mackie vlz204, machines and laptop.

I no longer compose with a laptop.

Just recording, effect and post production

1 Like

Or colored in a way you might like :slight_smile:
I’ve been wanted to do analog summing as well, which can be beneficial. Of course that also begs the question of a dedicated summing box. Mostly, I think having a nice mixer to route all my bleep bloopers into could be very nice

1 Like

I personally enjoy having a pretty neutral sounding mixer, and adding colour simply by routing signals through auxiliary gear.

I actually skipped over pretty much every prosumer-grade mixer out there and went straight to a console. It was still really cheap, but when you have a monitor controller and patchbay integrated, the workflow is simply completely different.

At the end of the day, with my new experiences from getting my own mixer, I don’t think I will ever go back to worrying about having tons of channels of the best conversion again

If you don’t have a patch bay I actually recommend you start with this first, then acquire a mixer.

To give you a specific mixer recommendation, I think a Midas Venice 240 is a safe bet. It not only has a great reputation, but it is especially revered by people who enjoy using a lot of synths and drum machines.

4 Likes

oh yeah i saw that as well!

What console do you have?

Love my Presonus studiolive 32sc

3 Likes

neotek essence!

1 Like

That was a cool looking mixer. Is it an in-line mixer? There is very few real studio consoles for sale here in Norway, but I’m always looking out for a good deal. But I’m really happy with my Ghost. Even if it’s more of a prosumer mixer.

I am in love with my APB H1020. Unfortunately they are out of production but they can still be found used on occasion. Awesome feature set and routing for an analog. Top quality console, a bit pricey as a result.

I just added a little labs redeye for an instrument input and guitar pedals effects loop. Would also like something like an fmr rnc and a bank of attenuators like the little labs redcloud so i don’t need to bring own the gain so much for tracking. Otherwise perfect!

8 Likes

I don’t know about you people, but this is one of the sexiest mixers I’ve ever seen.

21 Likes

Ah okay
But it isn’t consistent across the series, a unit I saw was 2x2usb
Thanks for the info :slight_smile:

1 Like