Mixer - yet another question

hey folks, … I was under the impression that if a mixer has a usb port and say 12 inputs, make that 8 Stereo and 8 Mono … when I open Ableton (qubase, fruityloops I would get an input signal routed to every track

say my MD out 1 into mixer channel 1 and I see it on ableton Track 1
out 2 into mixer channel 2 and I see it on Ableton Track 2
A4 out into mixer channel 3 and I see it on Ableton Track 3

now Octatrack, same game L+R out, into mixer, and have one l channel and one R channel in ableton,

now my MM all 4 outs seperately recorded and displayed in ableton …

or is the only way to achieve that a Focusrite 20i10out usb sound card?

thanks for answer… friend of mine just sent 2 behringer mixers back to thomann because it came only as stereo sum to his qubase

in other words, i have a 2input usb sound card now… and A4, OT, MD, MM and AR on the way … how best to record into ableton with maximal joy ?

EDIT : I am PC user

In most cases, a mixer with an USB interface will only allow you to send the final mix to the computer through a L and R channel.

If you want to get multiple channels into your computer, you’ll need an audio interface with multiple channels, or you need a rather more expensive mixer such as the Mackie Onyx series.

wow. what a price jump!

thanks MR. T :slight_smile:

I've been looking at this recently......major headache! 

When manufacturers quote something like "20in/20out" they really mean 6in/6out with an ADAT connector for an expander, S/PDIF for digital, and separate headphone i/o. Very misleading.

So far the best bang for the buck seems to be a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 with a Behringer ADA 8200.  There may be better options with Firewire, but i've only looked at USB. Good hunting!!

Only the 1640i in the Mackie Onyx range can send all channels to the computer. My 1620i sends just the stereo mix.

hey strawberry … the focusrite 18i20 sure looks nice … why is a Behringer ADA 8200 necessary … would it not work by itself? …thanks for answer bro!

EDIT … how c o n f u s i n g that numbering is … jesus! … cant wait for overbridge! (or underpass) elektrooooon do you hear us? …

there are some onyx mixers on ebay for around 400 euro…sigh

Take a look at the Behringer (yeah i know…) ufx 1204.
Pretty cool Features for a decent price.
359€. @musicstore/cologne (Retour)
Usb and firewire and standalone Recording of all channels seperately. Even on a usb stick!
I’d like to have a mackie or something with a better reputation but spending my money on an AR and a sub37 left only 350€ for a mixer.
I’m happy with it

Or i can offer you my ultralite Mk3 firewire for a friendly price :slight_smile:

hey pmoldzio … i am still hoping that you show me some octa tricks one day :wink: … when my OT is back from repair, i will have 2 for a short while …overkill …

that suggestion of yours of the Behringer /yeah we all know/ ufx 1204 seems pretty tempting!

thanks for that!

i dont have a firewire … but thanks for the offer bro! … can you record 6 individual (mono) tracks to say Ableton with that via USB / firewire with that?

Yay for firewire. I dont have the hybrid ultralite (firewire only) so i can’t comment on the usb function.
But the motu has some really good features and is good in standalone, too.
8in-8out, all routings are possible. And also a nice software bundle.
And last but not least great Sound!!
If usb works for you you might get one pretty cheap.
Hybrids (fw&usb) sell for about 300-330€ on ebaykleinanzeigen

Just a small note; if you have a recent Mac with a Thunderbolt interface, then you can use pretty much any Firewire device using Apple’s Thunderbolt-to-Firewire convertor.

ooh, one more time, …, can you record 4 stereo tracks simultaneously into ableton (either usb or firewire) … theoretically? i want to record more that 1 Elektron Toy at the same time (eventually)

thanks T … but I am PC user… just edited the topic …

Yes it’s possible with the motu (with the ufx too)
(I can only speak for a firewire Connection)

And you can route any subgroups to different Outputs to feed your OT :slight_smile:

ooh… that is a very useful observation which I havent thought of! … cool bananas

I think this one does 16 channel audio interface with simultaneous recording: http://www.thomann.de/se/behringer_ufx1604.htm