Mixer Question: Pan two mono vs. Stereo

As the title suggests, I’m curious, what’s the difference between sending L/R out (say from AR) to mono tracks 1 & 2 of my mixer and panning vs. sending it to a stereo input?

Reasons for this question: I feel like the image is really weak using the panning method. Not sure if i need to just visually monitor the signal more carefully or if it’s just not possible to get the signal right. The stereo image from the AR was very hard (impossible?) to replicate with the panning method.

Maybe it’s possible on some mixers and not others due to the panning circuit?

Any help, suggestions, or advice is very welcome.

I don’t THINK there’s any difference except for the chance that the 2 mono channels would have slight variations in their volume pots, therefore causing slight imbalance issues in the stereo field. I run into that on my soundcard occasionally.

1 Like

I think sending it to the stereo input is the assumed method.

Mono channels on mixers probably have preamps which might explain the “weakness” if theyre not gain staged properly. The stereo input assumes line-level. You more or less do all the gain staging and panning of the “12” mono channels on the AR itself.

1 Like

resurrecting this thread.

who is using mono channels hard panned left and right for their stereo sources?
does this work well for you? have you had any issues with balance or cohesion?

i’m thinking of buying a mixwizard 16:2 and have a few stereo instruments to hook up. i think potential cons are issues balancing L and R signals, particularly getting nice stable mono bass in the centre. potential pros are having aux sends for L and R, allowing for stereo effect sends

any advice would be much appreciated!

1 Like

@JunkRunner Did you end up recording your AR on two panned mono channels? Or couldn’t get it right?

1 Like

Nice thing about dual mono is that you can alter the stereo width, something that can be handy with stereo delay units if you don’t want such a strong pingpong effect. Reverbs too if they don’t have width control onboard.

2 Likes

This is exactly right. If you’re using something with very good digitally controlled inputs, no problem! RME stuff is great for this.

I was using an old Boss BX-8…

I did a few controlled experiments. I realized if I strictly matched each input gain and volume knob with a sinetone, the analog mixer’s (Boss BX-8) stereo image was indistinguisable in both hearing and measurements. However, that is almost impossible to do in a real studio setting where you’re constantly adjusting levels and cranking the gain to test harmonic distortion effects. I ended up getting an RME Fireface UCX II for more control, more ins. I used it as a mixer in my last live set.

Making great tracks with good songwriting will be way more impactful. Decent level setting and good mastering also make a huge impact. But, for comparison’s sake:

These use BX-8 stereo out: Cybernetic Hi, both of mine on this release

These are multitracked through the BX-8 and mixed digital: Effective Human Interface Technology

These are recorded multitracked through the RME and mixed digital: Reload Home EP 1

The only thing that I could see impacting these two input methods is pan law.

I would assume, though, that a stereo pair input would have the same pan law applied as would two single channels hard panned accordingly.