Mixer for use with Analog Heat?

Hi all, I just bought an Analog Heat and I’m loving the sound shaping capabilities of it when I run my Digitone and Digitakt through it individually. I also like to use its subtly on the master to add some glue and warm up the mix. What I use it it for varies with each song, so I end up moving cables around a lot. I was wondering if there’s a mixer based solution to this?

I currently have a compact Behringer mixer with one post fader FX send, but its not possible to put the full channel signal through an FX send. I’d like something that could either route full individual channels through the AH or switch to using it for the master channel without having to change the cable routing. I’m a mixer noob and I find all the bus/send/insert terminology pretty confusing. Would anyone have a good mixer recommendation for this? Ideally something compact-ish with USB interface capabilities.

Or maybe I need a patch bay?

Love the AH :slight_smile:

I’m running my AH as an insert on a stereo bus (or actually 2 mono buses panned left/right) in my mixer and then just selected the channel(s) to be routed there. For me, the AH needs to be in insert mode to really shine, using auxes didn’t suit me, at least.

So, I would suggest that whatever mixer you chose should have 2-8 additional buses (apart from master) that you can route your channels to, and those buses must have insert options (where you’d plug your AH in/out).

Best of luck!

2 Likes

I used a Keith McMillian K-Mix with OT, AR, A4 and Heat. Routed the 3 sound generators into K-Mix and then out to the Heat via the Aux Sends. I could selectively send one or more generators into Heat. Very flexible. Kind of wish I still had the K-Mix. You’ll need double the number cables, though.

Thanks guys, it sounds like buses/sends are the way to go. I love the idea of the K-Mix, but I’d say its way out of my price range at the moment. Are there any more traditional, and ideally compact, mixers that could do something similar? @dobermate which mixer are you using?

Unfortunately, lesser priced mixers have a limited number of AUX channels. Mostly mono. Unless you want to unplug and replug, you need a mixer with an AUX channel number equal to the number of boxes you want to route.