Minimalist controllers

No “Cheers” ?? Is everything OK buddy?? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

LOL…

Thanks for your concern. All’s well. I just felt that I needed to curb my pandemic drinking; you know, maybe dry-up for a day. :wink:

No, I just felt that my signature valediction made the joke less punchy, but now I see the error of my ways. I didn’t mean to worry anyone. I am, however, touched that you noticed.

Welp, here’s to falling off the wagon…

Cheers! :beers:

4 Likes

It didn’t feel right… Like a glitch in space-time. Glad to see normal service has resumed. :beers:

2 Likes

looks like you might be able to fit 2 more pedals on there

1 Like

Very pretty keyboard. A bit pricey at 750 though.

1 Like

Connections are on the side, so as soon as I actually use one of them, it’d be a mess :blush:

Here is mine and really loving it to control my new modular system. So Buchla-esque! I suck at playing keys so touch sensitive pads are my thing. I can create fun patterns on modular and 0-coast at same time.

3 Likes

Yea 0ctrl is a lot of fun, although I wouldn’t mind a bigger version of it… 16 pads or more would really up its game as more players surface. I will say the 8 steps is nice and concise for sequencing though, really manageable for live tweaking that way.

1 Like

You hit on two of my favorite things about the ED MFG 61:
(1) The amount of space on top for desktop synths and
(2) the resemblance to a minimalist Prophet, as though Dave Smith had been channeling Walter Gropius.

Also, I’m jealous of your CBA Generation Loss! That pedal sold out before I could snatch one, so I’m glad yours is being used by an active musician and not hoarded for resale by a vulture.

I grew up with an original Prophet (I’ve had one since I was 13, though it’s in storage because it needs so much work). I’ve always loved the synth but not the keyboard, so I’m curious why a fellow pianist loves Prophet keyboards so much. A lot has happened to those instruments since 1984, but why do you prefer Sequential’s implementation of the Fatar TP-9S (or another iteration) more than anyone else’s? Or is it that you love that iteration of the Fatar? I’m not arguing with you; I’m interested.

1 Like

Might as well post since the thread got CPR

4 Likes

Thanks :blush: Generation Loss is all over my latest EP and I keep using it future work as well. Doubt I’ll ever sell it.

On the keys, I don’t know. I tried the Nords not long ago and didn’t quite enjoy their feel as much, so the clerk told me ”Well, you should, they’re the same as the Prophet’s and you always go on about those.” I was like, huh. Okay. Doesn’t feel the same.

I guess what I like about them is that they listen and respond to my playing in a nuanced and subtle way. There’s so much expression to be found in just the simple act of playing, and the Prophet is an extension to that, and the Deluxe as well, in ways I just don’t think other keyboards pull off.

But it’s a personal experience and maybe it’s in my head, to some extent. Doesn’t make it any less real for me, tho :blush:

1 Like

That looks amazing! :heart_eyes:

Do you happen to know if an OB-6 or a Prophet 6 module can sit on top like that? I’m not sure how the P12 compares in size…

1 Like

The Prophet 12 extends just beyond the flat surface, so if you got OCD - which I do - it’s gonna bother you to some extent :slight_smile: The Prophet 6 and OB-6 modules, I believe, are somewhat deeper so that’s gonna be even “worse”. As far as width go, you should be fine, tho.

I really can’t recommend this keyboard enough. It has almost no features. But it plays f****g great and it looks amazing. Which has been the only two things I’ve ever really wanted from a keybed, but didn’t found until now :slight_smile:

I can appreciate all them light pads, sliders and sequencer controls and shit that people like Novation and Akai put out. I get there’s a need and market for that. And they’re good products.

But the raw playing experience, that’s a pretty rich experience on its own and most of the time, almost all of the time, it’s the only one I need.

2 Likes

Yeah I love the aesthetic of it, and I really like the “buy it for life,” non-disposable philosophy behind it. And glad to hear it plays well! (Although my keyboard skills could be described as “nascent” if one is feeling optimistic…)

I just measured and it looks like all the feet of the P6 can fit on the top, with the body of the synth hanging off maybe 1 cm front and back. (Thanks for posting the ruler pics earlier!) Definitely less overhang than with that Deluge. If that works I think the P6 will be golden.

1 Like

The sl8’s and sl73’s are minimal on those lines. Dunno how they play tho. They Do have a magnetic surface for other gear like how circuitghost has his p6 positioned.
Do wish the single control knob was off center (like the extra deluxe mfg) over by the 3 x/y sticks.
Right now im still using an old Kurz pc88 from the early 90s. Just 4 sliders, standard GM sounds, but a fantastic keybed.

2 Likes

Haha, almost got me considering getting a P6 module now instead, and swap it for my Prophet 12 that’s how OCD I am :slight_smile:

In case anyone’s thinking about placing a weirdly hyphenated Prophet-5 or -10 desktop atop their minimalist controller keyboard, here are the measurements for both:

20.75″ L x 7.4″ W x 3″ H (52.70 cm x 18.8 cm x 7.62 cm)

Hey so now that you’ve had time on this keyboard, are you still really digging it? I’m considering one. My biggest want is a great feeling keyboard that is somewhat weighted for a nice feel on piano samples, yet agile enough for orch. instrument samples… Also very expressive to touch, with a wide dynamic range. Dont need alot of fluff, which is good cause this board is pretty sparse. Wish it at least had an expression pedal input, but there are solutions to not having one on the controller. I’m going nuts looking at options, but unfortunately my desk shelf limits me to 39" max. The Novation supposedly has the same Fatar bed, but of course its not as ‘nice’ an enclosure, and is too busy, but its cheaper, and maybe has the same key feel… I have no idea how much (if any) customization Extra Deluxe did to the Fatar keybed, and if its ultimately better feeling, and more expressive than the Novation, or others that use the same bed. I do love the look and solid workmanship and simpliity of the Extra Deluxe 61, but it’s very pricey for what it is, and I’m trying to justify buying it. Your thoughts are welcome!

1 Like

Haha :slight_smile: well, it remains my keyboard of choice for all things I play with keys. However, I know a user or two has had some issues with the velocity curves and aftertouch response, so you might wanna reach out to someone who uses all its features more extensively than I do. I just play it, I almost never use aftertouch and I’m a pianist to begin with so I quickly adapt to whatever velocity sensitivity is going on in a board, as long as the feeling’s overall right. Which I really think it is, in this one.

I’d say that you get this keyboard because you appreciate the idea of it, though. It’s too pricey not to. Simple to the point of almost absurd, looks the part and runs on USB power. All these factors need to be important to warrant the purchase, I’d say, and then of course if the more finer details matter as well, such as the above mentioned after touch stuff and so, then you want to look into that before you proceed, since for that price tag, you don’t want it to be just right in all areas that matter.

Thank you. I’d be happy enough without the walnut, and a lower price. At the end of the day, ultimately, the featured component: ‘the keybed’ is still made of plastic, and can be expected to break. LOL! I think Studio Logic hits the right balance of good quality build and looks in the enclosure w/o being too expensive. Well… It is what is, and it’s a beautiful piece. Still, if the keybed and playing response is awesome and the best, then ultimately I can still justify it ’ that.the main draw for me here anyway. But, the issues you’ve mentioned are a concern. They are a new company, but at that price there shouldn’t be any such issues. Maybe.they have firmware updates to fix…but nothing as such mentioned in the manual. There are very few features, so the few that they have should be expected to work. Are those guys having problems members of this forum? May I should start a new thread and ask ?