Minimalist controllers

They have a small amount of onboard memory that allows them to be programmed in such a way that they can be used as a standalone MIDI controller (or anything really, within the memory limitation), but only via a USB host. I made mine into a very basic grid controller for Norns.

1 Like

I don’t, but I play a Prophet 6 regularly and hold that as my favourite all time board. I’ll let you know how they compare once the MFG has arrived.

Got a response from them. It’s the fatal tp9s semiweighted with aftertouch. Same as the Prophet~6/OB-6/Rev2
:partying_face:

5 Likes

:heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

These guys are not kidding around. This board is f*****g amazing. Behold, as it’s getting acquainted with the Prophet. Dellie’s in the background, waiting patiently for its turn.

Good stuff, @ExtraDeluxeMfg - good stuff indeed.

16 Likes

Gotta love the manual, too. If this isn’t no nonsense straight on telling how it is, I don’t know what is.

5 Likes

Not sure you can get much more minimalistic than this. MidiFighter 64.

where are they located that controller looks lovely?

1 Like

also, may I ask what is the height of the middle of the controller/black space where your Dave Smith is perched?

Brooklyn, New York. I reached out to them and they arranged shipping to Sweden. Took some sweet time for it to get here, pandemic shit and all, but it arrived intact, well packaged and the presentation is lovely. Manual, box, you even get a cool notebook to go with it. These guys are serious.

As for height, I can check when I’m at the keyboard again, but if I’d go with my gut, I’d say this board feels about the dimensions of a solid Sequential, say a Rev2 or a Prophet6. Slightly lower perhaps, the dimensions are well proportioned in all directions.

1 Like

it’s been a long time since a controller moved me, congrats

1 Like

Thanks :slight_smile: yep, I’m a piano player to begin with and always wanted just a damn great board that looked the part, no hassle. Never really found one, but this one’s it.

Anyway, here’s a couple of measurements for you -

4 Likes

I should add that this keyboard runs on USB power, so when I use it with my Deluge, I can bring this entire rig with me anywhere and power it with a single USB power source. Like a battery or stuff. Not a single power cord in sight. Not one of them that needs to go into a wall, anyway.

1 Like

Finally found this thread again! This looks great. Good to hear the point of view from a Pianist too (I’m not one my self, but I’m guessing your fussy about a good action).

1 Like

I’d say it’s imperative to me.

For pianos, I prefer Yamaha’s latest CP boards, but Korg is a close second with their SV-2 keys (which I know they’ve used in many other instruments as well).

For keyboards, Sequential and their Fatar boards are my favourites, and this one feels just like a Prophet 6. Which is my all time favourite as far as keyboards go.

If we’re going mini keys, nothing comes close to the Refaces. They’re not just good for being mini keys, they’re just good overall.

3 Likes

perfect, thank you!

1 Like

Anti-minimalist

@circuitghost great find. Would be perfect for a lot of setups. Looking at you @Scot_Solida :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Crikey! Just hire a bass player already. :wink:

1 Like

the GOAT

2 Likes

The flat surface on top of this thing is quite useful. I’ve basically stashed my entire rig here now, the only thing not fitting is the pedals. But I only use one at a time anyway, so the slot reserved is for one Chase Bliss at a time.

10 Likes