Minilogue XD

The filter is the same as the monologue, not the minilogue original, so it is fatter and has drive

1 Like

iā€˜m wondering if it has the sound-per-step capability from the monologue?

Question for owners of both Minilogue and Minilogue XDā€¦how does they soundwise compare? Can the XD do all Sounds the older Minilogue can do?
On Reddit ppl e.g. claimed that the OG Minilogue sounds softer?
I know about the technical differences. Just curious now about ppls opinion regarding the Sound.

Just got this today and man is this thing fun or what! Super playable and love the multi engine, new filter and built in FX. For the last 45 minutes I had a multi engine chord loop on repeat, wiggling the shape, filter, envs with one hand and the FX parameters with the other while the Digitakt pumped out some drums, and I really found my happy place. Big up Korg!!

3 Likes

Hi all,
iā€™m new here and new into the analog world.
Iā€™ve recently got : Mackie 1604VLZ4 - Kenton THRU 12 - Arturia audio space grey - Minilogue XD - MC 505 - TB 03 - SH -01 A.

Iā€™m connecting everything following the right process but iā€™ve noticed that the Minilogue XD connected in stereo ( Y mono - mono - stereo ) comes up with a lower and background volume. Some presets sound good but others do really struggle, then iā€™ve decided to try it in mono and all the presets sounds at the same level without any particular background volume.

It might be a super silly question, but i hope somebody will help me out to understand it.

Hereā€™s a demo of the ā€œPermutationsā€ Patch Bank for Korgā€™s Minilogue XD Iā€™ve just published. Maybe you find it useful.

8 Likes

Two guys raving about how much they love the XD! Nick Batt and Ty Unwin.

Sonic Talk 603.
The clip is maybe thirty seconds long. They got on the topic talking about the new Korg Wavestate.

1 Like

And rightly so. I love itā€¦ from the core sound, the balance of featues/flexibility/ease of use, to the ability to load custom osc/fxā€¦ Next month, Iā€™m going to do February Album Writing Month and it is going to be entitely XD and Digitone. Iā€™m fair excited!

3 Likes

Tyā€™s comment of ā€œit shouldnā€™t sound that good for the moneyā€ is spot on. I preordered the XD module when it was announced and received it back in October. Four months later and Iā€™m still like a giddy schoolboy whenever I sit down and start deep-diving into it.

I adore it.

4 Likes

Nickā€™s answer: It is one of those synths that shouldnt go onto eBay, rather into a deep storage, an Archiveā€¦

I decided against an XD and recently got the former model, but i guess i have to give it at least a try. I wait until the price for the Module drops.

I too finally got to ride the minilogue XD bandwagon :loopy:

Anyone here who has researched deeply into the multi-engine? I am curious which algos are the most recommended. Interested in that sampler algo, but it only supports windows? Anything comparable out there for mac users?

talking about this one:
http://hammondeggsmusic.ca/logueplugins/wavecreator.html

Aside from sample playback, Iā€™m interested in spring/plate reverbs and tape echo style fx, BBD chorus emulations, algos that are good for making hammond organ / clavinet / epiano type of sounds, VA supersaw cheese algos, or anything ported from Mutable Instruments code. Any tips would be most appreciated!

Was just checkkng out the Chips 2.0, looks like a must-have :nyan:

Love the minilogue XD :heart: Its just such a well thought out package, size, UI, features, soundā€¦ its all there. I was supposed to get the module but got the keyboard version for less than a regular minilogue sells for new, so figured the keys are aight as well. The keyboard feels decent enough and oddly the keys dont feel too small to play on (not regular minikeys are they?)

And hey, while we at it, how does the microtuning work? Can I import scala files from my computer into the XD somehow?

Thereā€™s a series of tutorial videos about the multiengine and how to program and deploy custom oscillators: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXVuJKNbSwQMZvscHniPcFg/videos

2 Likes

thanks!

for now, Iā€™m starting with three multiengine oscs. chips 2.0, ONE and TWO. TWO especially intrigues me - 4 voice microtonal FM + analog filter with drive + three internal fx = :loopy:

ONE is cool too, almost makes the multiengine into a 4-voice 1 OSC SKULPT without the modmatrix, but I reckon again microtonality and added analog oscs should still keep things interesting :diddly:

Did I tell you already how much Iā€™m digging th xd? :laughing:

2 Likes

You can tune any note to be what ever you want just go to user scale press a key then turn the knob to adjust it hold shift to change tuning by full notes

1 Like

Are ONE and TWO the oscillators by Tim Shoebridge? I need to check those out.

Iā€™m planning on doing the February Album Writing Month challenge and limit myself to only using the Minilogue XD and Digitone. So Iā€™ve been reconsidering which oscillators that Iā€™ve got loaded in.

Chips2.0 is a definite for me along with Duet and Shapes by Hammondeggs. Shapes isnā€™t a million miles from ONE in terms of functionality and the thing about both it and Duet is that the internal LFOs/EGs really add to the flexibility of the synth in achieving more complex, but ā€œtraditionalā€ analogue tones.

Sinevibesā€™ Turbo and Bent oscillators are also really good for moving out into more digital territories and are interesting takes on FM and waveshaping. One word of caution regarding Tubes to say that Iā€™ve found it to be quite buggy, rarely working and crashingā€¦ requiring a power cycle of the XD. I should check to see if there is a new versionā€¦

Staub is another fun oscillator that is a take on the Alpha Juno oscillatorā€¦ once you get past the novelty of mentasm stabs itā€™s pretty flexible for a range of thicker analogue style sounds.

Itā€™s also worth investigating the ports of the Mutable Instruments Braids oscillator modesā€¦ not all are winners though with some being quite dull without the modulation that eurorack affords. That said, the FM, Waveshaping and VA oscs are all great with their own nuances that you wonā€™t necessarily get in other oscs. The various wavetables A to F are OK, but not the most flexible though they sound great especially with some ā€˜lofiā€™ dialled-in. In someways I much prefer the wavetable oscillator provided by Korg.

Speaking of Korg, itā€™s definitely worth spending some time with the various VPM oscillators as there is a whole tonne of variation and flexibility there.

And, Iā€™ve not really investigated any of the user FX yetā€¦ this really is the synth that keeps givingā€¦

4 Likes

module version is $100 more than keyboard version in Australia?!

thanks for your tips!

yeah, those are by Mr Shoebridge

hmm, looks like ONE isnt a copy of a modal osc after allā€¦ its just morphing between saw/triangle/ramp. That reminds me to always RTFM before buying :blush:

If someone knows a multiengine algo similar to a modal digital synth osc (morphing from sine to tri to saw to sqr to pulsewidth sqr to noise to lowpassed noise), please let me know

1 Like

Same in Europe :frowning: Dunno why. They state that it has Poly-Chain. As I donā€™t need/use that, I donā€™t know if it is, what separates them. I bought the Keyboard Version because of the price, even that I would really like the desktop one more.

1 Like

@Prints the minilogue XD is making me consider selling my other synths - have I found my Virus TI2? :diddly:

dayum

3 Likes

turra music are having a sale and have the module for 849 atm

1 Like