Minicommand users?

Ok, I managed to find the old github link for Midi Ctrl 0018, this is the latest (semi) official version from Wesen that I know of:

there were a few very minor bugs/tweaks that I made in my github fork of mididuino that aren’t in the release above, but this at least should get you going…

if you get to the point where you want to start writing some of your own code, give a shout as you might want to look at getting the (fairly limited) doxygen documentation back online somewhere. i found it hard enough to learn the framework etc even with the doco online…!

1 Like

Nice one! thanks
This topic is the best summary of things related to minicommand at the moment :slight_smile:

Hi Tyrone,

From memory, I could never get Midi Ctrl 0018 to compile.

I also fixed some bugs and did some slight modifications to 0017. Importing code from 0018 where it was needed.

I still plan to release the MCL Firmware source code I was looking at it today. and still needs quite a bit more commenting.

I still need to shoot some MCL Firmware videos as well.

• Justin
1 Like

Hi Justin,

MCL - cool, i had a read of the v1.0 user manual again the other night actually, but i think the latest beta version might have some further changes? Would also be keen to check out how you got the turbo midi working, one thing I’ve noticed when jamming and switching patterns, the entire midi clock buss chokes up while the minicommand is processing the sysex from the md / mnm, and usually involves a stop/start to fix. Was hoping that turbo midi might fix this…

Midi ctrl 0018 - That’s odd, I’m pretty sure that github 0018 package is the one I’m currently using… I remember some gcc compiler errors very early on but bought that wesen fixed that in the link I posted above. The first 0018 zip file he created was around 150mb in size, I know that one is a lot smaller

Tmt - if you have probs with the package in that github link let me know and I’ll help where possible…

1 Like

it works perfectly. thanks. now my mini command can be used.

1 Like

The midi drop out would only occur if you’re using Wesen’s callbacks for pattern changing. Turbo Midi does speed up the handling considerably and might make the midi lag negligible.

Turbo midi is fairly easy to get working. Unfortunately it can’t be used in conjunction with normal midi signals. So you can’t use MIDI Merge while Turbo Midi is enabled. I was hoping to fix this but it requires some serious investigation into Wesen’s code.

1 Like

I’m heavily commenting the MCL Firmware source code.

I’ll try and release it this weekend, along with a modified version of the
MidiCtrl 0017 framework. (Has some additional functionally and bug fixes, but essentially the same 0017 framework, MCL won’t compile/work without these changes.)

The source code should give you a good idea of how to use the MDPattern/Kit objects, SD Card read/write, Turbo Midi and GUI Manipulation.

1 Like

Awesome, look forward to checking it out, no hurry / stress though…

i am crazy or the wesen website totally disapear??

Yeah, it’s been down for a while now… :frowning:

Here you go:

I’ve added the following to my server.

i) Release of the MCL Firmware Version 1.0 & Source Code
ii) Original MIDICtrl 0017 Framework
iii) Original R&W Minicommand Documentation.
iv) Patch Manager for Win and Mac

http://www.justinvaler.com/mcl

If there are any other useful MiniCommand files you think I should host for archiving purposes please contact me.

1 Like

many thanks!!!

Awesome Justin! :slight_smile:

Isn’t there a v0018 kicking around somewhere that fixes a couple of bugs?

Tyrone can you shed some light?

0018 is floating around on GitHub.
Actually I just found a compiled version:
https://github.com/wesen/mididuino/downloads

Not sure how complete/stable it is? Wesen never finished it.

Tyrone if you can comment?

1 Like

I’m pretty sure there was a bug in 0017 around Program Changes? Something like that tripped me up, but Tyrone was able to assist.

Awesome, thanks Justin… look forward to checking this out! :+1: :+1:
The only other useful files I can think of would be the Doxygen html doco of all the various MIDI-CTRL classes, methods, etc that used to be hosted on the Ruin & Wesen redmine wiki.
I’m guessing its possible to regnerate it by running something over the source code, but haven’t looked into it yet

I’m pretty sure there was a bug in 0017 around Program Changes? Something like that tripped me up, but Tyrone was able to assist.[/quote]
It’s been a while since i’ve done any MC development but i am fairly certain that i am using the github version of 0018 that i posted the link to above.
From memory - the major bug fix was something hidden pretty deep inside the midi class - basically on version 0017, Wesen’s MNMLive sketch used to just lock up / crash after a short amount of time (both leds would become lit and the whole gui locked up). He managed to fix this bug which had been hanging around for something like 2 years.
I think there were also some things added like callbacks for programchanges and other midi events, which is what you were after Rusty when you started your OT Midi Scenes firmware?
For me, the MNMLive / Midi bug fix alone makes v0018 the most stable/useable version of the framework

1 Like

I’ll take your word on it Tyrone.

I’ve uploaded the Midi CTRL 0018 Framework to my server as well!

cool…
one thing i found with using v0018 is that sometimes my changes weren’t getting “picked up” after recompiling using the ruin & wesen IDE, I never seemed to have this problem with earlier versions.

the workaround is to delete all of the *.o files before recompiling, e.g. on OSX

cd /path/to/your/installation/eg/mididuino/hardware/libraries
find . -name ‘*.o’ -type f -delete

then recompile, and all should be good.

been meaning to try to get Midi-Ctrl set up using Eclipse instead of that ruin & wesen IDE (maybe that would make a difference), but just haven’t gotten around to it…

1 Like

Hi Tyrone,

I’ve had that issue before too. As you have alluded to, the compiler is not recognising that the object files are out of date before linking them.

I’ve just recompiled MCL for the MIDICtrl 0018bc3 framework.

I also traversed my Modified MIDICtrl0017 source code, identifying the changes I made. There were only about 5 in total. I also have the bug fixes for the MDPattern.cpp, in which step sequencer data for received patterns with length > 32 steps was incomplete.

I’m going to test the 0018bc3 version tonight to see that it works, and if there are any improvements in MIDI performance.

• Justin
1 Like