MegaCommand // MiniCommand Resurrection // MCLive

MD Sequencer is 95% finished.
Just ironing out some bugs and GUI layout.

Feature Recap:

• 16 Track Sequencer with independent track lengths (64 max steps).
  • Conditional Trigs and Micro Timing per step.
    10 degrees left or right of centre.

• Conditional Modes:

• L1,L2,L3,L4,L5,L6,L7,L8 (For Ln, step is only triggered after every n iterations of track)
    P10, P25, P50, P75, P90 (For Pxx, step has a xx% chance of being triggered)

• 4 lockable paramaters per track with 64 locks per parameter.

• Lockable parameters are MIDI learnt and recordable from the MD.
  • Trigless Locks.

• Real time record for both step and lock data.

• Chromatic Mode. (Machine pitch values are chromatically mapped to the MD. Melodies are recordable)

6 Likes

Well, next August then, isn’t it :slight_smile: ?
great work, good luck

1 Like

Recordable melody would be turbo-cool

2 Likes

Idea for the mkII version in a couple of years … transparent casing, same size and in fact design as the Machinedrum, rack-mountable, with a 16 trig button sequencer

Justin, thanks for Your work and for updates on Your progress. I do hope that every bug that You encounter would be eventually worked around and this product will be in usable state soon. Meanwhile I’m saving procurement money ;]

I also hope that some day You’ll do some jams on youtube again - that four-part one was magnificent, one of those that really showcase what MD can do, being very musical & fun to listen to at the same time. Thanks for sharing that one, btw.

2 Likes

Update;

The final 1.0.1a PCBs have been built and tested.

You can now follow the documentation to build your own MegaCommand:

I’ve recorded 2 videos, depicting the entire build process (annotations to follow).
It will take 2-3 hours to solder up the board.
https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=15qRWJqVOe8

Only the MCLive firmware is working at this stage, there are still compile errors for Wesen’s original MiniCommand firmwares.

Also, for those of you that were asking whether or not I could port the new sequencer functions to the MiniCommand, it looks like this will not be possible due to program space limitations on the original hardware.

4 Likes

7 Likes

Nice solder joints! :panda:

4 Likes

Did not realise the Analog 4 mini keyboard transmits MIDI note data.

I’m sick of no LEGATO record, so i’m going to expand MCL internal sequencer to have 5 additional Analog 4 MIDI tracks and do all the Analog4 sequencing from within the minicommand.

4 Likes

To Elektron, please hire @JustinValer to work on adding features to your boxes full-time, ok? Thanks!

7 Likes

^ we have two amazing Australian synth designers around here, Justin and Rusty. Are you thinking what I am thinking?

6 Likes

I solved the Legato problem, with minimal RAM usage.

Not so easy in the end and I can see why Elektron have avoided implementing it. You have to account for simultaneous note on and off events across multiple pitches, and then make that work on a sequencer that is designed to trigger notes, but not necessarily turn them off.

I have 5 track ext sequencer on MCL that can be used to sequence the Analog4. Live record from the Analog4 mini keyboard, in legato or poly.

It works pretty well.

3 Likes

Where i’m heading with this.

The overall plan here is to treat the Analog 4 voices as 4 additional tracks on the MD.

These tracks can be stored in rows on the MCL Grid. Each row on the Grid now consists of
16x MD internal tracks + 16x MD Expanded Sequencer Tracks + 5x Analog4 Expanded Sequencer Tracks .

So if you load up a row on MCL you will get all the MD tracks loaded + all the corresponding analog 4 tracks, including sound changes.

You then have the MCL performance options of mixing and matching Analog 4/MD tracks from the different rows.

5 Likes

at the risk of waking up back in my hut again, is there any way these a4-related functions could also extend to the monomachine? …or are they totally apples and oranges?

Yes, but I need to find out a few things.

Is it possible to configure the Monomachine keyboard to transmit MIDI note data, but not trigger internal sounds?

It seems possible with the SFX-6:
KEYBOARD controls whether MIDI data of the keyboard and joystick (SFX-6 only) should be sent to the internal synthesizer tracks, MIDI OUT or both. The keyboard on the SFX-60/ SFX-60 MKII is represented by the [TRIG] buttons when not in the GRID RECORDING or LIVE RECORDING modes.

On the Analog4 I can disable the MINI keyboard from triggering internal sounds, and it transmits MIDI to the Megacommand. I then send those MIDI notes back to the A4 to trigger sounds. This is useful, because the 12 keyboard buttons can be used as additional input controls to the MC.

3 Likes

yes, ive done it but maybe not in the way you are looking for. i load up the machine that produces no sound and the sequencer/keys still send the midi data for channels 1-6 but the audio tracks have a machine that creates no sound.

Yes that won’t work, maybe there is another way.

Also, some slightly bad news. Can’t change sound on individual Analog4 tracks.
I’ve tried to probe the SYSEX implementation but no luck, calling all @void for assistance.

2 Likes

I’ve got a basic Analog4 library working now, with the ability to receive kits and sounds.
This means we can now store analog4 sounds inside MCL and couple them with the external MIDI tracks.

5 Likes

Holy crap! This really renews my enthusiasm for the MD! With this upgrade, we can have all of the things that make the new machines so great (cond. trigs, microtiming, step-lenghts).
Wow! Currently blowing the dust off the ol’ MDUW MKI.

3 Likes

@glitched- I must be overlooking a little bit of the magic- could you elaborate, please?