Machinedrum vs Digitakt

I’m hoping my Digitakt and an A4 will yield similar results. :slight_smile:

1 Like

They’re not similar at all, totally different. The Machinedrum has digital synth machines for making drum sounds as well as ability to play samples (later). Digitakt is a sample playback unit (+midi) only.

How is the sequencer on the MD compared to the current Elektron machines? Very different or essentially the same?

Simular to the DT minus chromatic mode, trig conditions and micro timing.

2 Likes

Others have spelled it out in detail… incredibly different machines. I love the overall amount of voices with the MD and that allows you to do so much. Digital or not, it sounds freaking great and not just “me too” in a world of 808/909 clones. I really see DT much less as a drum machine and more of an OT lite. I hardly load drum samples into it! It’s basically Ableton Simpler to me, but in quick hardware form and with an awesome sequencer. It’ll really fulfil its destiny once I can use Overbridge with it.

Very lucky to have a MD UW+, AR and DT – they won’t get sold. Something else shiny and new will come along and they might get used less or overlooked for a good while, but I’ll come back to them. Really special boxes each of them.

2 Likes

Except, now those features are available for the MD:

2 Likes

I own an MD, and have owned a Digitakt. If you’re looking for strictly a sampler, then the DT would work better. If you’re looking for an actual drum machine, then go for a MD. I personally wouldn’t buy a DT right now in its current state.

1 Like

heres a li’l acid jam I did with DT, MDuw, A4 n tt303.

the MD is great for getting abstract n creating something new on the spot, it’s my favourite tool for that kinda thing, then having some solid parts on the DT etc to throw in over the top or come back to.

2 Likes

What are you talking about?! Sounds great man! You should post more stuff. Really dig the MD in that one.

I dig it man! Great spot as well. All these machine drum videos are making me jealous.

Thanks,
its a bit sloppy but just wanted to get something down on vid.
yea, md rules :slight_smile:

Awesome!

I like the camera overhead view. Looking forward to hearing/seeing more!

jus picked up a zoom q2n today n stuck it on a tripod for that. lookin forward to gettin better at video.

1 Like

ah nice one :slight_smile:

I’m intreagued by the q2n. I want to start doing some YouTube stuff this coming year and need to sort out a cheap way to go about it.

Hi phaelam, that was awesome!

Is it the DT that works as master?

I was an early adopter of the first MD when it came out. Mine has been rock solid for all these years, and it sounds really really good. I also bought a DT when it first came out, and thought it sounded great as well, but it was buggy as hell. Mine bricked itself not long after I bought it, and subsequently was returned. I didn’t have enough confidence that Elektron had worked out enough bugs to warrant getting another one.

Excellent stuff!