Mild 'rample' envy

The Squarp ‘rample’ sampler has a cool mode (that I saw in a video) where you can specify up to 12 samples in a kind of ‘group’ and then each trigger cycles through the different samples in the group playing a different one, in order, with each incoming trigger.

The OT’s slices gets kind of close to this, especially with using LFOs to influence which slices get triggered.

Can anyone think of a way to get the ‘cycling’ behavior of the rample with the OT? In particular I think it would be cool to have % trig conditions and still have the full set of slices played, in order, but go through the cycle of slices slower when the % trigs get skipped.

Other clever ideas of things to do with slices also appreciated.

Thanks!

1 Like

A sliced sample chain plus lfo set to sample start, mode set to hold and depth and speed tweaked to get the best for your pattern results will get your part of the way there. If it is too deterministic, move the lfo speed slightly so it is not in sync with your pattern loop.

4 Likes

nice! didn’t think of this, thank you

Yeah, ramp or triangle wave lfo in hold mode will cycle through slices in a sample chain.
Ramp will just move upwards through the slices, triangle will go up/down.
And ofc there’s always the lfo designer on OT.

But keep in mind, there is no neat way to retrigger the lfo like on A4/AK and AR for example, but sync trig will restart the lfo on beginning of the pattern. It will run free after retriggering on the beginning of the pattern.

3 Likes

Could even draw a stepped LFO that matches the number of slices. 12 slices = 12 step LFO.

Loads of ways to achieve the desired effect.

4 Likes

This is a good idea too, are you still thinking of HOLD for the LFO, or something else?

Yes, no, both? try it out and see what you think, you will no doubt find more ways to get similar results, and even results you hadnt thought of. :slight_smile:

Depends if you want the lfo phase to always start from the same point (with hold, the lfo won’t retrig so it won’t always start from the beginning of the waveform).
If you want to retrigger the lfo from pattern start so it consistently cycles through it, you can use sync trig mode with carefully ‘tuned’ lfo designer wave’.

Rample also has slices.
So, each SP (4 SPs per unit) is like a MIDI addressable 12x64 matrix of samples.

So…theres that.
(Havent tested latency on that yet)

I kicked around this idea after I got hold of a midihub a couple weeks back. Just tried it out, works pretty well! Lots of potential. Essentially:

• MIDI channel (eg 1) on OT into midihub
  • use ‘dispatcher’ pipe to send each sequential note to a different (virtual) MIDI channel
  • insert CC#17 (playback param #2 STRT/SLC) after NOTE ON
  • using virtual IO, make a separate pipe for each channel, and scale the CC message (127 / 16)
  • remap the channels to an output channel (eg 2)

What this allows you to do is play notes on an OT MIDI channel to trigger a sixteen step MIDI sequence. That’s the basic gist of it, but you can go off the rails from here. You could have unique values or CC LFOs for retrig, LFOs, FX, crossfader, and scenes per step. And then there’s OT arp to put on top if ya like.

I found it’s much more reliable to insert most messages after NOTE ON to set up the next trigger than try and get them in for the current one. You can set up CCs for most internal settings on midihub, so you could use OT to control things like whether to filter the MIDI notes, change the output MIDI channel, or to activate randomizers, or…

Not bad for just over £100 used. And that’s just using up 2 ports and 2 channels. I can share the basic patch if anyone is interested. Also, i’m pretty sure blokas will probably come out with a sequence pipe and make all this redundant. But yeah, I’m gonna think about how to use this in the meantime. I’m probs gonna need a lot of masking tape or an ec4

5 Likes