Mike Parker, Voices From The Lake and similar techno producers

I’m wondering how to get that rubber sound like Mike Parker and that bouncing pneumatic percussion like Abdulla Rashim, any ideas?

Any examples of this?

I know Mike Parker is a big MS-20 fan, and I think it’s (at least partially) responsible for that main “Mike Parker noise” that I think you are referring to… pitch modulation on the MS-20 square wave has the same sound to my ears. I know he likes modular too so it could be a modular patch that either sounds similar, or uses modular modulation sources to control the MS-20 via CV.

Here’s a little jam I did with Arturia MS-20 V, I thought the pitch envelope after the kick had a similar sonic feel to the sound he uses (otherwise this is nothing like his stuff but I feel you could get close with the MS-20!)

2 Likes

I was told recently that Mike’s general strategy is to run analog synths through modular processing, e.g. modulated filters and the like. QMMF is apparently one of his mainstays (and IIRC can be seen in that studio video posted by OP).

2 Likes

A thing to keep in mind about Mike P is that he’s also an art professor, and presumably comes from a fine arts background; traditionally in that space you’ll have artists that make it their life’s work to find and refine their own very specific signature style, which in many cases is tied to a specific process. Mike seems to be taking that approach in his music and is allowing himself to explore his own specific process indefinitely. Perhaps not every listener’s cup of tea, but it’s worthy of respect rather than disdain IMO.

6 Likes