Mike Parker, Voices From The Lake and similar techno producers

As discussed in another thread, who’s into the Mike Parker type of techno and similar artists eg Dozzy, Rrose, Wata Igarashi etc

10 Likes

As I mentioned in the other thread :wink: I’m very much into this sound.

I think I was first introduced to this deeper strain of techno through the (now defunct) mnmlssgs blog… at the time I was into DJs like Dettmann and Klock, then I heard mixes by people like Cio D’Or on mnmlssgs and that more hypnotic, spacey sound really appealed to me. I think partially because the sound palette is not too dissimilar from some of the better progressive trance stuff that I used to really like.

Anyway, they posted up Dozzy’s 2008 Labyrinth set, and it really blew me away… such a deep, hypnotic vibe, expertly mixed, I hardly recognised any tracks (and it turns out many of my favourites are from the mid-90s… but you wouldn’t think it in context)… one of those sets where it is much more than the sum of its parts.

Since then I’ve had the pleasure of seeing Dozzy play a number of times (still the best DJ playing this kind of sound for me, and I really enjoy his sets exploring other genres too such as his ambient and experimental sets from the Terraforma festival), and discovered a lot of great artists. I do find that sometimes an entire set of this sound can be a bit dull, there are quite a lot of fairly bland “soundalike” productions now and it takes a good DJ to make it really work, but when it is done well it’s my favourite kind of techno.

Was discussing Mike Parker with @AdamJay recently, big fan of his sound. Really interesting, artistic approach to techno. Can totally understand why people might find his stuff boring or samey on the surface, but it works really well, especially in a DJ set context.

Rrose is fantastic too, had the pleasure of seeing them play a few times also and really enjoyed it. Excellent producer and very good DJ.

Been enjoying some of Wata Igarashi’s newer stuff with the whole “infinite arpeggio” type vibe going on such as https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGOTDMkwxCI and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msVCmVI-cLU

I’m working on trying to produce stuff along these lines, I haven’t really been dedicating enough time to it though so often gravitate to more simple stuff. I feel like it requires quite a lot of dedication in the sound design phase to make these kinds of tracks work.

Got loads more stuff to share probably, I’ll have a think :slight_smile: Thanks for starting the thread.

8 Likes

This track from Wata is amazing

Plus his latest ep with Voiski
3 Likes

Some great tracks from the Desroi album

Rrose classic waterfall
3 Likes

Yep, I love Night. Been after the vinyl on Discogs for a while, it’s quite an expensive one but sometimes it’s worth it… splashed out for this one which was a bit pricey a while back when a local store had it and it has made me happy!

That EP with Voiski is nice, thought it didn’t quite blow me away like I was expecting it to. Can’t quite put my finger on why. Really like some of Voiski’s solo stuff, think this was the first one of his I heard and it blew me away, maybe still my favourite of his

Also really like this one from his EP on Kangding Ray (another great producer!)'s label

I enjoy how live sounding/relatively simple Voiski’s stuff is. Sounds more like the kind of thing I could achieve with my Elektron’s haha

2 Likes

Some stuff I need to have a listen to, keep em coming, need to get some work done, but this is my favourite topic :grinning:
This could go on all day !!!
I like Northern Electronics too and this track by CA2+ is amazing for sound design, Anthony Linell opened his sets with it

2 Likes

Hehe same, need to work also, but I’ll be back later :slight_smile:

1 Like

The voices from the lake album got me into this type of techno, one of the only albums to get 5 stars on resident adviser

And also the recent album from lf58 is similar stuff, this is one of the tracks, also involves Neel
1 Like

Latmos

Plus mike Parker remix
2 Likes

Good track from border one

2 Likes

ASC is also great

3 Likes

Also early Abdulla Rashim (Anthony Linell) is brilliant

1 Like

I’m a big fan of this sound. For a lot of people is sounds too minimal and droney, but I find it to be filled with emotion, and lots of great musical programming. RRose uses a lot of the same methods that I’m really into (Pyscho Acostics). Lots of great subtle rhythms too.

3 Likes

Having a listen to the stuff you posted @Adelock, some great stuff and a few names I haven’t heard before, will have to explore a few of them deeper. Desroi is nice – reminds me a bit of natural/electronic.system or Dorisburg type stuff, in that it’s a bit slower and more groovy… this kind of vibe:

Big fan of that VFTL album, have seen them perform live a couple of times and it was brilliant. Also the Dozzy album “K” has a somewhat simliar vibe. Will have to check out the Neel one – I was meant to be seeing LF58 in London then Coronavirus hit!

Abdualla Rashim stuff is cool, somewhat similar to Mike Parker I guess in that it doesn’t really do much, but really locks into a groove. Takes some skill to pull that kind of thing off without it becoming boring.

One great track nothing to do with that, but that I thought of because there’s an Abdualla Rashim remix on the same vinyl is this Surgeon remix of Bee Mask:

Few others that popped into my mind… recently Forest Drive West has done some wicked stuff, often with a slightly more breakbeaty edge to it. Really tight production. Listened to this one a lot when I discovered it

Some other good names remixing Artefakt (who are also good!) on that same EP e.g. Valentino Mora

Acronym do some nice stuff, has a kind of “open air”/“natural” feel to it, a bit like Minilogue but less overtly … “jazzy”?

Speaking of Minilogue, I like this remix they did for VTFL… it’s a long one haha

Loads more stuff I like but that’ll do for now :wink:

2 Likes

his Alternate Cuts set at Soup Kitchen in Manchester 2 years ago is still one of my favourite set ever

1 Like

Cheers mate, I’ve heard some of these such as K and artefakt etc but some not, like you i need to have a more in depth look. I like finding out about stuff I’ve not heard before then going through the back catalogue :+1: I’ll see if I can think of any others later, looks like only 4 of us like this type of techno :grinning:.

Also envious of you seeing VFTL live. I still listen to the set they did at labyrinth which was special , especially from about 21 minutes when the drums kick in on this video

Ahh yes, that track is a wonderful Dozzy remix that a friend introduced me to. One of my favourites of his actually!

Didn’t realise there was such a long clip of VTFL on YouTube. Would love to go to Labyrinth one day!

1 Like

Yeah! Wicked set. I created a playlist on Spotify with the tracks I could find at the time, as is often the case with Dozzy, a lot of the tracks are vinyl only :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Another DJ I really rate and who is worth checking out some sets by is Jane Fitz. She plays all vinyl, most of the tracks no one can ID and are a total mix of new and old stuff, played at the wrong speed etc. While her style is a bit different, her sets remind me of Dozzy’s in terms of piecing together tracks in a variety of styles to create a cohesive hypnotic journey.

This was the first mix of hers I heard

This is her supporting Dozzy

And this is a really nice ambient set she recorded recently

3 Likes

Yeah I remember this Reynold track now, I remember trying to find what it was at the time, will have a good listen later :+1:

1 Like