Might get an octatrack. why not?

for a company that make such good products, that people love,
they sure do mess up that last 5 % on quality control…
not sure how you couldn’t notice screws rolling around inside a unit when packing it

the number 9 is also crooked like on my Rytm mk2

1 Like

Indeed a return might be obvious.
Sometimes I wonder if shops just try to sell a defective unit to another customer, just in case it works.
Anyway, please contact Elektron support so that they can track the faults and enhance their quality check processes.

6 Likes

Yeah, that’s a great point, and I’ve been investigating options for that purpose and so far, ended up short. And believe me, I’ve tried them all. I would’ve gone for the Toraiz, which I feel does everything right except handling longer samples, which is doesn’t do at all.

But I feel a separation is necessary anyway, to force myself into thinking in new ways.

1 Like

I think it has definitely more pros than cons.

4 Likes

Just curious. What ‘new ways’ are you thinking of?

1 Like

Isn’t this the space normally filled by gas? :rofl: it is a really good point though.

Could also see this is an advantage to owning an OT.

1 Like

Beware of B-Stock! I had 2 faulty B-Stock units.

1 Like

Some quite old ones, actually. I’m a traditional guy but the Octatrack always tempted me not to be, and with some success, too.

New ways for me are that I just have to realise that I enjoy music best when it’s fairly organised and structured, and just have a good lead and a strong beat. That’s the stuff that comes easiest for me to write, as well.

But the OT has been a great experience, because pouring in some glitch and dirt and suggestive ambience into something that would’ve been pretty ordinary otherwise, is still lovely.

2 Likes

Mostly. Especially if you change pitch down while realtime recording.
You can use AMP Attack/Hold/Release. Zero crossing snap with Function + Knob (better to change view for stereo files). You can have a little crossfade with Pickups, setting Fade in / out to small values.
Possible to make a better crossfade with Flex, not simple at all.

2 Likes

i do wonder this, if they knew it ‘had a screw loose’
or maybe they thought i had a screw loose and wouldn’t notice :crazy_face:

It is working at least and get to test it out if i like it,
before i take it back is probably a good way to look at this

This never use to be an issue back in the good ol’days of the mk i units. I think it all started with release of the digitakt and mkii’s with the new buttons and body types. Supposedly the buttons have a longer lifespan. Maybe they changed production facilities and QC is not what it use to be?

4 Likes

Not a big deal if no missing screw. Open the box, check : Free spare screw!

6 Likes

Free spare screw or not this thing is insane… !

1 Like

Use it as a p-lockable shaker! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

…no worries…if ur ready to take a deep dive, some muscle memory and some nerd factor u gonna be happy…
a few bpm are never a problem…
beyond 12 bpm of realtime change, yes, u can hear some grain…but as i loved the early ableton stretch algo’s, i really love ot’s stretch behaviour, which came out only one year after ableton launch…
so yes, these stretch algos can’t be compared to actual ones…but the musicality in this slight bit of imperfection are THE sonic spice…
mk2 was just a face lift…the internal processing was, like ableton, a game changer…

u can use ot as a computer free live set up center piece…
giving u the freedom to replicate ur computer productions live…
AND u can use it as THE sounddesign machine in first place like nothing else…still…and pretty much forever…
cause these a little imperfect stretch algos won’t grain at all, if u use it sonicwise…

2 Likes

Screw, Octatrack, or both?

You may hear some sound differences while timestretching…

:smile:
Rate set to TSTR > up to 6400% slower :crazy_face:

13 Likes

Haha incredible!

1 Like

Case against: it’s really expensive
Case for: everything else

SPOILER

1 Like