Midi vs Digtakt

I have a very basic setup- Digitakt as my sequencer sending midi to a Novation Peak and onto an RD-9 drum machine. I have the DT connected to Ableton via Overbridge. The external instruments are going into a mixer, some aux send FX applied then into Ableton via a UMC 1820 audio interface. Everything is synced nicely and I’ve set up a little latency compensation in Ableton.

I want to be able to sequence the Peak using the Digitakt and also use a Novation LaunchKey to play notes, use aftertouch, pitch bend, mod wheel etc on the Peak. I understand this is impossible to do via the Digitakt as it won’t send anything other that note and velocity information via is midi out and through ports. Which is deeply frustrating as after some tinkering I found the cheap plastic RD-9 transmits everything in the chain via through.

Anyway, any thoughts on how I could use the DT to sequence the Peak which retaining proper midi connectivity between the LaunchKey and the Peak? I was wondering if there was a method to via Ableton and into the UMC 1820 audio interface. I’d rather use the equipment already have over buying yet another piece of gear such as a midi merge device.

There might be some way of doing this using MIDI-OX or the Mac equivalent and routing the LaunchKey’s messages out of the UMC 1820. I think you’d have to run the Digitakt into the MIDI in of the interface and route it back out along with the data from the LaunchKey.

Honestly though something like a Blokas Midihub is a really worthwhile investment. Especially if you plan on adding more controllers or other gear in the future. Saves so much time and headaches while giving you a lot of extra capability to customise your setup. I was in a somewhat similar situation at one point where I couldn’t figure out how to route things, initially I was thinking a simple merger was going to be fine but I’m so glad I went with the Midihub.

I think a MIDI merge box is the only way to do this. BTW they aren’t necessarily that expensive and they take up v little space.

I use the Kenton MIDI merger which doesn’t cost much at all. It is tiny and just works day in day out with no setup. Really just a fit-and-forget thing.

The good thing about a MIDI merger is that if you add other controllers in future, you don’t have to worry about routing, just connect the output into a spare input on the MIDI merge box and you’re ready to go.

2 Likes

Plus one for this. The Kenton stuff is brilliant and simple.

2 Likes

you need a basic merge box to uncomplicate this. two in/two out should do, it doesn’t have to be the most expensive one available.

Yes, midi merge AFTER your Digitakt Midi Out: Connect the DT Midi Out and the Launchkey Midi Out into the box, then the merge box‘s midi out into the Peak.

Alternatively you could connect it all via USB wnd then route the midi via Ableton Live.

If you connect the Launchkey into the DT and connect both the DT’s Out and Thru into the merge instead, you can use the Launchkey to control both the DT as well as the Peak (with MW/PB)

Alright. Fixed it in Ableton- no need to buy stuff. I set LaunchKey as the clock, connected directly to the computer/Ableton via USB, it being the only clock and sending clock info to all other devices. Outward bound clock from the Digitakt is off.

Set up 2 midi tracks in Ableton pointing at the Peak via my interface. One is sequenced notes from the Digitakt, the other is from the LaunchKey. Plays the correct notes in time. I still have full manipulation from the Launchkey so pitch, modwheel etc whilst the Digitakt feeds it notes. Save it as a template, job done, no money spent.

Hey Elektron, feature request- please make your devices fully midi compatible or at least tell us if they are not. Not asking for more features, just basic quality of life stuff. Thanks!

1 Like

Yes issue being though that the DT filters out pitchbend, aftertouch etc. Wasn‘t sure if that happens to the Thru port as well or just the midi out, but if that data gets passed on to the Thru port as well, your described solution is the better one! :slight_smile:

EDIT: @OP glad the USB route worked for you. I also think it‘s a pitty that the DT doesn‘t pass on some of the midi data that would be expected to be standard. The OT does though… :scream::sweat_smile:

2 Likes

From my experience neither the midi out nor the thru sends anything other than note or velocity information. If I’m wrong then please correct me.

So if the hardware route is Elektron then we’ve either got crippled half width boxes or un-intuitive full-width one’s with terrible documentation. Generally premium devices get proper documentation. I get it that youtube influencers are part of Elektron’s marketing strategy but they shouldn’t double as user manual, not on devices costing over $1200.

I love my Digitakt but it’ll be the last Elektron box for me.

On all the Digis the Thru doesn’t filter anything, including MW, PB, AR, BC

2 Likes

+100 for a merge box. The price is negligible compared to what you’ll save in rage broken gear.

2 Likes