MIDI vs CV/GATE

I recently picked up an oxi one sequencer that I’ve been using to midi sequence my Pulsar 23. The oxi has pretty extensive CV and gate options. I was wondering why I might use the cv and gate to sequence and control the Pulsar rather than midi? I’ve never used CV and gate before so maybe you more experience folks can talk about the merits of cv versus midi sequencing?

cheers

Both have their strengths and weaknesses. The main difference is that control voltage can be a pure analog signal and can only send one signal per connection/wire at the same time. So What that means is context to sequencing pitch, manipulation of filters, envelopes etc is there is no latency or stepping whatsoever using cv (“infinite” resolution of control voltage vs midi 1.0/2.0 max bitdepth). However this only applies if the control voltage source is analog. Benefit of midi is it can send or receive clock, patch or pattern changes, all cc’s, note, velocity, aftertouch and multiple note information (chords) etc. to multiple instruments at the same time via one connector

4 Likes

IMO it makes not a big difference for the OXI.

The OXI is a digital sequencer internally and thus I expect the CV to be of the internal digital resolution as well.

The CVs are important for us modular-gear guys, which allow us to have direct control of the moduls and saving us from needing MIDI/CV converters.

If you use analogue generated CV or audio signals for modulation instead, it makes quite a difference, because those signals are smooth, don’t need any kind of interpolation, are spontaneous and if generated by specific gear much more flexible.

Think of complex envelopes we can create with analogue gear or non-standard LFO’s.

1 Like