Midi track doesn't send sequenced notes out

So if i play the keyboard, external synth(just a vst) responds fine, but if i record some notes, there no midi data send at all…checked with midi monitor, nothing. Using usb midi. Am i missing something?

Thanks!

Is the track muted?

3 Likes

Thanks buddy!

I didn’t even think about checking the track mutes, i mean, i definitely didn’t mute midi tracks but maybe it’s the default state…

2 Likes

Same problems here to sequenced notes out to Ableton or Blofeld in midi mode. (Midi tracks aren’t muted on DN)
When you play DN keyboard, it send midi data out to Ableton or Blofeld. (midi and USB : ok)
But once the sequence recorded, no data send on Ableton or Blofeld. (issue on midi, USB is ok)
In midi, i can clock midi from DT to Ableton but not from Ableton to DT in midi mode.

Did you ever figure this out? I am having the same issue. Cheers!

This was likely tracks muted. As this is the behavior the machine is meant to exhibit when tracks are muted. Have you checked whether you you your midi tracks muted?

I was originally just trying to send midi from a synth track on DN, I wanted to record the MIDI notes into ableton. Is this possible or should I copy these sequences to one of the MIDI tracks and make sure its unmuted? Cheers

My midi tracks are not muted, but I still can’t sequence for example apps on ipad with Digitone. Although it transmits midi – I can play the apps with the Digitone keyboard.

What are your midi setting? How are you connecting to the iPad? You checked both mute modes?

Check the midi channel on the syn page.

1 Like

I solved it. You have to physically turn the midi transmission on, on a totally different page, not just select it in Midi Config/Channels.

It’s very considerate of Elektron’s developers to keep us users on our toes at all time, and to make sure we read every single page of the manual. :slight_smile:

Joke aside, just what in the name of everything unholy is that particular function good for?

I can see the use of being able to turn midi transmission OFF, but to have it as default?

1 Like

For the benefit of others who might have the same problem, which page and setting are you referring to?

In Midi mode, select SYN1 and enable CHAN (marked X if disabled) by clicking knob A, then turn it (if needed) to desired midi channel.

1 Like

I’ve been using Digitone to sequence 4 apps hosted in AUM on my iPad MINI 4 (USB between the two with the headphone out going to Digitone inputs) and it’s a whole lot of fun! :slight_smile:

The midi tracks need to have an off switch and this is effectively it. That’s the basic reasoning behind the func plus knob press to activate the midi track, id imagine. It helps prevent some user errors Probably as well. Additionally can also function as a mute as you have found out.

1 Like

Hi all, I’m having exactly the same issue and none of the fixes so far work for me. I’ve made sure it’s not muted and made sure the channel is correct on SYN1 - the notes from the keyboard work fine but nothing from the sequencer… any ideas please?

Are you using an external keyboard? If so, I think you’ll need to use AUTO CHANNEL to be able to record into the sequencer.

AUTO CHANNEL selects the MIDI channel that gives access to the currently active track. If an exter- nal MIDI keyboard connected to Digitone sends MIDI data on this channel, the keyboard controls the active track. This function is useful when you want to change quickly between the active synth tracks to play different Sounds. The Digitone also uses the AUTO channel to record to the MIDI tracks from external MIDI controllers. The default AUTO channel is 10.

Thanks for the reply but no I’m not using an external keyboard. I can see that notes are on the sequencer, they just aren’t triggering my external synth (which I’ve tested with another MIDI device - no problem that end).

When you set the midi channel in SYN1, did you click the encoder button down? That is the only thing I can think of that would cause the sequenced notes not to transmit.

Double-check tracks aren’t muted in midi tracks for good measure. I only say this because the keyboard will still play notes when muted, so it may seem like they aren’t when they actually are (mutes the sequenced notes).

Thanks again for your thoughts but yeah I’m selecting the channel correctly in SYN1. I made a quick vid to demonstrate:

1 Like