MIDI thru "sync"

Midi thru is labeled sync, however is not sending clock or transport.
I’ve read that it replicates the output of Midi out. If so it should send the same parameters.
Anybody with similar issue?

midi thru replicates the midi out from the master to daisy chain the signal, but you can’t use it as a 2nd out on one device. (I don’t know how to word this, it’s 5.30am and I just woke up) :smile:

example - midi out on master - in on slave 1. - thru on slave 1- in on slave 2.

1 Like

In other words, midi thru on the AR would send clock and transport only if the AR is the slave?

1 Like

yep.
if it’s the master you’d use midi out. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks and… Damn. That is limiting.

if you have a lack of thru’s on your other devices get yoself a thru box. I’ve a few of em. gives u more thru’s.

3 Likes

Thank you.

1 Like

Sync (aka Din Sync) is a completely different (additional but older) music machine protocol to MIDI … it can send clock anda kind of ‘transport’

You’ve misread, misremembered or been misinformed - MIDI thru is strictly only a copy of the physical/DIN plug MIDI In data

Almost every MIDI box works this way to be fair

Yes, this is why it is helpful as per guidelines to search before posting (keeps it tidy), issue discussed a lot, due to the mixing up of terminology, there’s MIDI Clock MIDI Timecode MIDI Song Position Pointer but no MIDI sync afaik - DIN Sync predates MIDI

It’s possibly misleading to be fair, but the manual is clear

https://www.elektronauts.com/search?q=thru%20sync%20%20%23elektron-gear%3Aanalog-rytm

1 Like

I dont see how. I mean, its standard IN, OUT, THRU combo.
OUT sends MIDI data FROM Analog Rytm, thus, if you want AR to be the master or to send any MIDI notes to external device, use OUT. If, however, you have another device as a master, (say Oktatrack), it is sending its clock THRU AR to the third device. THRU is basically a perfect copy of a input MIDI message.
So, if you want to use AR as a slave, use THRU.
If you want AR to be the master, use OUT.
Also, you have USB which opens worlds of possibilities. Or, get a THRU box.
I mean, there is nothing extraordinarily “limiting” in this, all devices with standard MIDI configuration work like this.
You can daisy chain up to 3 devices this way (or four , depending on who you ask) but most likely you are going to experience latency when you go above three. So, either get a MIDI interface, or a simple THRU box, a splitter (Kenton makes good cheap ones), Depending on how many units you have and how do you want to sync them.
Personally I love the fact there is an USB MIDI, but I am old an during live sets, where I have 12-15 devices (master, synths, samplers, effects) i use external clock as a source and 5pin MIDI to get it all tight.