MIDI sync Digitone and Digitakt - Stopping both patterns together?

Thanks everyone. DanJames - good suggestion but I can’t seem to find a sweet spot where the amp release is not too short as to cut off the loop at some point during its duration — and the sample ending when I double tap stop on the DN. Seems to be one or the other no matter how granular I get with it. Either the sample fades or stops too soon, or when I double tap stop on the DN it just keeps playing. Perhaps my sample is too long and I need to cut it in half. I’ll have to do some more experimenting.

LrPT - double tapping stop on the DN completely stops even a long (multiple page) sample on the DT?

When you move the sustain until it shows a note symbol
it will hold the sample playing for the length of the note… then set the release really short

It should work, and if you stop the sequencer it will stop playing, I do this myself on longer samples so it doesn’t continue to play with sequencer stopped

Hi Dan. Again I appreciate your time here. So I do have it set to “note” but when I set the release to anything less than INF the sample fades out somewhere during the four pages.

The sample is on trig 1 of page 1 and it plays through all 64 steps. We’re also talking 80 BPM here, so it’s a long sample. If I set it to less than INF it fades, but at full INF while it plays through, when I double tap stop on the DN the DN stops but the DT finishes out the sample.

I keep rereading your comment/s and going over to the units and trying it out but I can’t work out what I might be missing. Perhaps I’m a lost cause!

when the hold time is set to note the sample should play at full volume until the note is released
then it hits the release stage… its how the amp envelope works…
it sounds like you are not setting the actual note length to 64 if it is fading out

you should be able to set the note length to 64 regardless of bpm (if using scale at 1x)
if set 1/2x you would need to set the note length to 128.

i think its the only way you will be able to stop the sample playing after you hit stop

Thanks Dan. I’m going to DM you.

Yes, the double tap stop on the DN has the same effect as the double tap stop on the DT.

Patterns also change the same way on both machines, and I have a midi controller for the DN that can also control the active track on the DT.

Midi controller setup
Channel 1-4 = DN Tracks
Channel 5 = Active DN Track
Channel 6 = Active DT Track

Midi setup on the DN:
clock send, transport send and program change on
One midi track channel is set to channel 6

Midi config on the DT:
clock receive, transport receive, program change receive on
Auto Channel is set to channel 6

Hope that helps!

1 Like

I’m having the same issue but with my Syntakt and Digitakt.
ST is master sending transport, clock, and PC. DT is receiving all three.
Everything is working fine but the double tap on the ST.
I have reverb, delay, and a sample that keeps playing unless I reach over and double tap the DT too.
I’m looking for a fix. I have also tried setting the DT as the master and adding a long reverb and delay on the ST to see if double tapping stop on the DT would fix the issue but I get the same results.
Any help would be appreciated.

My guess is that in order to get the samples/etc to stop on the DT “sharply” would be to go to the AMP Page and taper off the sustain/decay so that when you stop playback on the ST there’s nothing left to “finish out” on the DT. You should also make sure that the sample “length” is set appropriately. I don’t have my digis out right now but I believe on the TRIG page there is a “Length” that you can set, which should be 16/32/64 or whatever. If this is not set appropriately you will have “runover” on any samples when stopping playback. Hope that helps!

This isn’t so much about the sample stopping as it is EVERYTHING stopping. Reverbs and Delays, and yes…Samples too.
The goal is to use stops/silence strategically with out having to tap two stop buttons twice while remaining in time for the next start. If I add a third machine, this will basically be impossible.
I’m reading other post about people being able to do this. One is in this thread. I’d like to know if I’m trying to do something that isn’t possible.
:slight_smile:

For cutting all audio, there is the Pattern Volume cc message (119?) on the DT FX channel or through the compressor page I think. Running ST audio through DT and then toggling that midi value is about the only way I can think of.

2 Likes

All I am trying to do is get the master to send transport stop double press from one Elektron unit to another.
Is this possible or does only the first stop get sent to the second unit?

You can check that with a midi monitor. Anyway, I think double stop is interpreted on the Elektron gear itself, not from external midi START messages. (To be tested and confirmed).

I don’t know if ST also send this ALL SOUNDS OFF CC120 message, nor if DT still send it.
(Midi monitor)

I don’t know if ST or DT accept this message.

Octatrack sends CC123, ALL NOTES OFF, which seems more appropriate, but I’m not sure.

1 Like

Thanks, I will look into the “all notes off” cc and see what I can figure out via midi monitoring.

1 Like

CC120 (DT) is ALL SOUNDS OFF. It is different, but I can’t elaborate for now.

That CC120 thing might have change over the years. At some point Elektron updated the way the Stop button works on the DT to prevent freezing when using MIDI loopback. Maybe it doesn’t use MIDI CC anymore? This is all conjectures tho!

@JohnnyLucid You mentioned you tried with the DT as the master but was the Syntakt audio going through the DT? Because it feels like double-tapping the Stop button on the DT would also stop the incoming sound.

2 Likes

@AldoVino I just tried routing the audio and MIDI from the ST to the DT and I am getting the same results. Thanks for the suggestion.
:frowning:

That’s what I was thinking about too (no CC120 send). I wonder why they used CC120 instead of CC123, which doesn’t seem to cause freeze with midi loopback btw. Anyway it concerns Digis but I’m curious about it…

No very funny but I’ll try to check that tonight and compare with OT…

1 Like

Checked with USB midi and Miditest monitor (w10)

DT sends CC120 ( B0 78 00, Hexadecimal) with double stop, and it also send four “empty” sysex. Don’t know what it is.

DT single stop, same as ST :

ST double stop doesn’t send CC120, also sends four F0 F7, twice. Seems like there is nothing specific sent with double stop, so behavior is different from DT

Don’t know how ST is supposed to behave with CC 120 receive…

2 Likes

Thanks for the help. I just tried the built in MIDI monitor in Ableton and Max4Live and I didn’t get near the detail you are getting. I just get the patten PGM # from both DT and ST.

This is what I get from Studio One’s MIDI Monitor with a double tap on stop from both the ST and DT.
This is more inline with what you found

I really appreciate the suggestions and help.
Thanks in advance for any and all assistance.

1 Like