Midi Shituation (advanced puzzle)

This is my midi setup, as you can see the Monomachine is not connected because I just got it and because I dont know how.

What you see:
1x midi quadra thru
2x midi mergers

What I want:

• MnM to react to clock of my other elektrons
  • MnM to send midi notes to "“non elektron synths” as sequencer
  • MnM AND A4 to recieve notes from midi keyb/DAW (this is the biggest problem)

What the problem is:
When connecting the MnM midi out to the free maudio merger input and the MnM recieves clock from rytm thru port the MnM doesnt recieve notes from midi keyb or DAW.

In a other situation i tried (did not recall how anymore)
there was a corrupt clock loop resulting in tripping MnM (didnt check with the MnM but with the MD this was the result) because I had 2 master clocks I think.

If I connect the A4 thru to the MnM in port I think (not at studio right now) the MnM will recieve notes from keyb/DAW but no clock/transport? Correct?

The A4 is my center unit (clock) and the
Rytms dont have to recieve any notes, just clock/transport.

Thanks in advance, I hope for a simple solution.

You just daisy chain the elektrons and go out the last machine and go IN B on the m-audio 2x2. Make sure to set IN B if needed so the audio unit can clock from IN B.

dont really understand your post:
The m audio merger 2x2 has no settings, this thing just SUMS input A and B together and send the result to both outputs

Chain all the Elektron = midi thru to midi in of the following box.
All with transport receive and clock receive.
You can directly plug your keyboard to the first one.
You may want this first one to actually send clock and transport.
And chain to the “quadra thru” then sub 37 and vie in the end.

Now if you wish to enable note sending, I think you need to put the box that send it at the end of the Elektron chain.

If your keyboard is able to switch from one midi channel to the other, you’ll be able to switch from A4 to MM or Sub37 pretty quickly…

Sell the Merger and Thru boxes, and get something like a used Motu Midi Express XT.
You simply plug all you gear midi IN/OUT up to 8 channels.
Use the “Live Keyboard” settings.
Now set all of your gear to the proper Midi channels, and everything can talk to everything.
A used one cost about $60.

4 Likes

The Motu MIDI Express is well worth the money. A real MIDI Swiss Army knife.

1 Like

@ElIn
@LyingDalai

I tried your methods but as I mentioned before the clock/transport goes in a midi loop circle and makes all the elektron sequence at 300BPM.

EDIT: the loop problem is solved because of the choice in the MnM to “not transmit” any clock or transport with the MIDI sequencer! Very nice.

Only problem now is getting my midi keyboard / daw notes in the A4 and MnM the same time!

Midi Keyboard OUT > Audio Interface IN
Audio Interface OUT > MnM IN
MnM THRU > RYTM IN
RYTM THRU > RYTM IN
RYTM THRU > A4 IN
A4 THRU > Quadra Thru IN
Quadra Thru OUT > Sub 37 and other Synths

@JuanSOLO

My audio interface is not always ON!
so if not the midi date is not send through

Another problem with your shedule is the MnM doesnt transfer midi sequencing through the THRU port. Only on the OUT port (so does the A4).

MnM Driving
Midi Keyboard OUT > MnM IN
MnM OUT > RYTM IN
RYTM THRU > RYTM IN
RYTM THRU > A4 IN
A4 THRU > Quadra Thru IN
Quadra OUTs to all else

A4 Driving
A4 THRU > RYTM IN
RYTM THRU > RYTM IN
RYTM THRU > MnM IN
MnM OUT > Quadra Thru IN
Quadra OUTs to all else

Or swap the RYTMS
Midi Keyboard OUT > A4 IN
A4 THRU > MnM IN
MnM OUT > RYTM IN
RYTM THRU > RYTM IN
RYTM THRU > Quadra Thru IN
Quadra OUTs to all else

@JuanSOLO

MnM Driving
MnM OUT > RYTM IN
RYTM THRU > RYTM IN
RYTM THRU > A4 IN
A4 THRU > Quadra Thru IN
Quadra OUTs to all else

How will my A4 and other devices recieve notes from midi keyboard?
The incoming notes only go through the THRU outputs. Not through OUT.
Same with A4 driving.

Ah yeah, now I see your point.

Keyboard OUT > A4 IN
A4 Thru > Thru Box IN
Thru Box1 > MnM OUT > Other Synths (chain them using midi thru)
Thru Box2 > RYTM
Thru Box3 > RYTM
Thru Box4 > Audio Inerface

@juansolo

If I only use the THRU ports everything comes through correctly, BUT the elektrons don’t recieve transport and clock.
It’sz like choosing between 2 problems but no solution. In your latest example, the MnM doesnt recieve clock/transport.
IF I use the MnM to start clock/transport, the A4 doesnt start :smiley:

(thank you for your effort, no matter theres no solution now) :stuck_out_tongue:

Like I said, sell that Merge Thru junk, and get a cheap midi router.
It’ll save you all the headache and make everything work.

2 Likes

Does your PC have to be ON to let that midi device get to work / route the
channels?

I use one of these.
I’ve never hooked it up to my computer, it’s pre USB.
I dont need to, I just select the “Live Keyboards” preset and it does exactly what I need it to do.

2 Likes

No one else with a other splendid idea with the devices I already own?

Its a bit late and Ive had a hard day but how about A4 out and midi controller keyboard out into A&B in on the 2x2, as i understand it if thats powered from a usb psu then it merges and splits the signals so send one copy to your audio interface and the other to the 4way splitter now send those four copies to each elektron machine in port if that works [everything that has a clock should be set to listen except the A4] now chain your other synths out of each thru port on the elektrons. If that doesn’t solve it then it must be settings in the machines themselves unless its just way past my bed time

@BURN How will my A4 recieve notes from the midi keyboard then?

Well the midi keyboard Out is combined with the a4 Out by the 2x2. That combined signal is then duplicated by the MIDI Solutions Quadra Thru and the four copies are sent to the In on the electron machines.
So MnM & 2 Rytms are getting the clock from the A4 and all four receive midi from the keyboard and as thru port output is just a copy of whats coming in the In port you can daisy chain your other stuff off them. And i wouldnt just make one long chain off just one machine because the degredation of midi signals is due to the opto isolators that little light that flashes the data across a physical space to be read by a photo cell on the other side as fast as it is has a ramp time and as i understand it thats what causes problems on long [multiple chained ]systems.
Anyway you probably know that and thats why you got the Quadra through, I just like thinking about that no physical connection between machines that little flashing light signalling across a chasm
Does that make any sense, let me know if it works