MIDI Sequencing Issue w/ Monomachine – Troubleshooting

I just recently I started exploring the capabilities of the MnM’s midi sequencer. And since I own both, a KORG Wavestation and a YAMAHA SY 35, I tried controlling these synths via midi (using a Kenton Thru-Box). The WS was set to multi-mode (controlling different internal performances/patches assigned to different sequencer channels on the MnM) and the SY was simply assigned a basic midi receive channel and also controlled by the MnM’s according track.
And I noticed something odd when I tried to real-time-record notes: the synths stopped producing any sounds (with the SY35 even the internal keyboard didn’t work anymore until I switched it off and on again) and although I was able to play them from the MnM’s trigger keys before, this wasn’t possible from that moment on. With the WS I had to switch the internal midi mode (poly to multi e.g.) or change the current midi multi-mode-preset to solve the problem.

Exactly the same thing happened when connecting the KORG Volca Bass directly to the MnM via midi out: I assigned according midi channels to both machines (resp. MnM’s track).
Playing notes from the trigger keys let me control the external synth. But whenever I tried to use the MnM’s recording mode (max. note lenght and velocity both set to 127), the following things happened: (1) all of a sudden pressing the trigger keys of the MnM did not produce any sound on the VB (even after stopping the sequencer they remained dysfunctional); (2) the notes entered in the MnM sequencer were actually recorded (as could be seen in grid recording mode); (3) the internal foil ‚keyboard‘ of the VB also refused to trigger any sounds of the unit; (4) ony after switching the VB off and on again the notes put down in the MnM sequencer were actually played back and the VB’s internal keys worked again as usual.

Although Elektron support had been extremely patient, friendly and helpful (thanks to Olle and Simon M.), their suggestions (potential midi feedback-loop; too many sustained midi notes causing external synth to ‘freeze’) did not solve the problem. – The solution, however, is so ridiculously simple that I’m somewhat ashamed I have to confess my own stupidity/ignorance. Still, I thought there might be other beginners facing something similar and my post might me of some help at least to them.

The problem was caused by the MnM sending certain midi CC messages to the external gear which either affected the volume or the envelope (esp. decay and sustain). And since all assignable CC controllers of the MnM are initially set to 0 (hard left position) once I started the sequencer AND entered the first note, that note also sent the according CC messages which caused the volume or the decay of the external synth to also be 0. – So, to solve the issue you can (1) either turn the pots to the right or (2) change the midi CC’s assigned to each of the midi tracks in the MnM’s midi sequencer settings (cf. manual p. 70-71).

So, to sum up: when in doubt, doubt yourself – and never Elektron. :wink:

4 Likes

You are a saint for posting this Radeon! I was just going to post the EXACT same behavior when using the MM to drive the andromeda and roland JD800 - so frustrated I decided to use my OT sequencer and when that worked fine I realized it must be CC or some other such business on the monomachine. I will try your solution and post back.

Cheers,
Alex

2 Likes