Midi sequencing issue I can't wrap my mind around

Hello everyone, let me cut to the chase.

My setup is a Digitakt, Digitone and SteamDeck with Bitwig on it.

My plan is to get the Digitakt to sequence VSTs on the SteamDeck via USB, which is going awesome. I am able to play my favorite VSTs from the Digitakts keys. When I’m manualy playing on the Digitakt there is no noticable latency at all, it is almost perfectly instant.

However, and this is what bugs me the most.
When I for example step record trigs on that same midi channel and play it back to the SteamDeck, there is always like a 16th note or more latency, which is not present when I play live on the Digitakt.

What’s up with that? It would be obvious for me that if there is no latency between me manualy pressing a button and hearing the VST instantly, then the recorded sequence should’t have latency either.

Could you guys help me out here please?

Bit more info:

From Digitakt to SteamDeck I use a USB C -USB B cable (took me a while to find one)

The latency only goes away when bitwig is master, but I DO NOT want bitwig to be master, it would mess up our setup.

I tried not sending clock to bitwig, still the same latency is present.

Okay it is more like, 3/64th of a step latency on 130BPM.

Whatever, the thing is it’s very noticeable.

Edit: Bitwig being master doesn’t solve the latency. Just checked again.

Anyone?

I don’t use bitwig but I think this reddit post might explain what’s going on, take a look and sorry if I’m misinterpreting. I think using the DT as a controller doesn’t introduce latency (ie playing notes directly), but sequencer playback must be different because of the clock sync, it may also have to do with the difference between an instrument track and HW instrument track but again, I’m not up on bitwig so I’m just reading over this thread. If this doesn’t help, maybe it will at least point you in the right direction.

Midi Latency Compensation : r/Bitwig (reddit.com)

Thank you shigginpit, I’ll look into it!

1 Like