Midi sequencing a Volca FM

Hello Elektronauts,

Some years ago I started fooling around making music using software and found it a little overwhelming. Now I’ve decided to pick it up again by using hardware, of which the limitations work much better for me. I’ve bought the Octatrack and fiddled around with it for a couple of weeks, and I’m really liking it so far. I know I’ve only just scratched the surface.

Some time ago I also got a Volca FM. Now I’d like to sequence the Volca FM with the Octatrack, but I can’t seem to work it out. I’ve used the following tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vidFqwqbfxA

The difference between the video and my situation is that I have the Thru track on MIDI channel 15. Also, the sound from the Volca FM goes through input C + D. When I hit the keys on the Volca FM I can hear the notes, and also the C + D lights light up.

Now here is the problem I’m facing. When I press the very first button on the step sequencer of the OT, it plays a note of the Volca FM. But pressing the rest of the buttons, I don’t hear a sound. Does anybody know what I’m doing wrong?

I know there are plenty of topics on the subject of MIDI sequencing with the OT, but I could not yet find my answer. I hope you don’t mind my newbie question and can help me out. It would be much appreciated! I’ll be checking out this forum often since I’m eager to discover the many options of the Octatrack!

When I press the very first button on the step sequencer of the OT, it plays a note of the Volca FM. But pressing the rest of the buttons, I don’t hear a sound.

Maybe you are in play mode, in audio tracks mode. Pressing 1st trig will send a note on track 1’s midi channel (default channel = 1).
If you want to play notes you have to be in midi mode, in chromatic mode (Fn + Down arrow), with the right midi channel.

2 Likes

Thanks for your reply. I’m in MIDI mode, I selected track 15 and changed to Chromatic mode. Whatever I press, I don’t hear a sound. What is it that I’m missing?

Is your midi track unmuted? Is it definitely set to the right channel (you need to hit yes when selecting a midi channel in the midi track setup page)? Are you playing an octave that’s within the volca’s range? Is the midi cable definitely hooked up properly?

“The difference between the video and my situation is that I have the Thru track on MIDI channel 15”

You don’t need the audio track set to channel 15, just the midi track. I would change the thru track back to default settings.

“When I press the very first button on the step sequencer of the OT, it plays a note of the Volca FM. But pressing the rest of the buttons, I don’t hear a sound”
I agree with sezare56 above and this also implies the volca is set to receive on channel 1.

Did you set the volca fm to receive on ch 15?
Hold the memory button down while powering on the volca and you will be able to set the midi channel with the 16 keys, then hit the record/erase button to save your setting.

1 Like

Ah, there it is. The Volca was indeed set to receive on channel 1. I just put it on channel 15. Then going into midi mode and to chromatic mode, I can now play the Volca on my OT.

Thanks for the help guys!

4 Likes