Midi sequence output from trk1-4 without burning a voice

Hi all,

I’m new to the forum but a long time AK owner. The new update for midi sequence output is awesome, so long overdue! So now I sequence my shruthi from the FX track, no worries.

Thing is, I want more. I want to sequence another polysynth from another track, but I want to use the CV tracks for what they were intended for, and I want to keep all four voices available. I would like to use one of the TRK1-4 tracks as a polysynth output BUT I don’t want to burn any internal voices, i.e. I want to use all four in one way or another amongst the remaining TRK tracks. Anyone know how I can do this?

I haven’t tried and i don’t expect it will work, but if you set e.g. both oscillators on track four to ground, will it free up the poly algorithm to use that fourth voice across the other tracks assuming poly is on

No need to test with midi initially, just see if you can play a long four note chord on track 1 (all four voices set to poly) and tap away at keys on track four - if it takes a voice then it may not be hopeful for MIDI

Then try with midi - there are no machines on A4, so there’s no way to go to a midi only machine, the best bet is luck (maybe by grounding the oscillator) or asking for a feature request that a grounded osc decouples from the voice allocation routines - thus allowing that track (and two others potentially) to serve up four note MIDI without affecting the internal voice

I don’t have high hopes that this will play out as hoped, it seems very unlikely, you can reduce the noise volume but you can’t disarm it, and even the grounded oscillators aren’t disarmed, they can be locked on in an instant, i suspect this is a conceptual leap too far , will probably investigate when i get a moment, quite curious

but being able to protect voice allocation would be useful if there’s a way to implement that in light of the track MIDI possibilities

i wonder if trigless locks still send MIDI, is there any mileage in exploring whether that spares the voice being allocated ?

1 Like

no dice on grounding and whilst the trigless lock won’t steal a voice (because no trig) it won’t accidentally as one would expect just happen to trigger a midi note but it was worth checking - for this to work you need a way to prevent any allocation per given track, i don’t imagine this is beyond doable, if there’s a will that is, some kind of midi only mode

Thanks for giving this a look! Yes shame about the trigless locks. Seems like the best bet is to try to get another track to steal all voices, but that’s a pain. Another feature to block tracks from voice allocation would be ideal. How would we suggest such a feature?

Email your suggestions to feature-request@elektron.se

or to discuss them, in case they’re doable etc

1 Like