Midi Routing AR OT A4 and SUB37 as Master Keyboard [SOLVED]

Heyho,
I’ve got these machines:
Octa, A4, Rytm, Sub37

I want to rout them:
SYNC: Octa, A4, Rytm
Octa sends notes to Sub37
Sub37 as keyboard for: Octa AND A4

is that even possible? I’m getting in Midi Loops every time i try…

To send note to sub from octa, then try to play octa from sub? Of course you get a loop :confused:

(Why do i feel trolled)

Well i want to record the sequence i play in the octa - and then play it from the octa - how do i do that without a loop?

Thats the definition of a loop.

You COULD possibly do it with filters in a DAW.

hm, i thought there might be a way to stop triggered notes within the Octa - so that the octa just sends notes if they are sequenced but still can get notes for recording

Set octa to channel 1 to 8
Set sub to channel 9

Send octa to channel 9
Send sub to any assigned channel/track on octa.

But i dont even think you can filter it. Note played on octa plays sub, which plays octa, which plays sub, which plays octa, which plays sub, which plays octa, which plays sub, which plays octa, which plays sub, which plays octa, which plays sub, which plays octa, which plays sub, which plays octa, which plays sub, which plays octa, which plays sub, which plays octa, which plays sub, which plays octa, which plays sub, which plays octa, which plays sub, which plays octa, which plays sub…

Hmmmmm

I mean if sub goes to track 1 midi channel 1 on octa…track 2 midi out 9 from octa…
Sub will play octa 1.

So effectively track 2 on octa will play track 1 on octa. (And the sub)

yes, thats whats i’m experiencing - never ending midi loooooooooooops…

and i just sold my arturia keystep because i wanted to use the sub as master keyboard…

Dont sequence sub from octa.

OR play A4 from sub. Seq sub from octa :wink:

No…that wont werk hahaha. Octa ends up playing A4 and sub

a sound generating midi keyboard generally has a local control off toggle for such loops - it means the internal routing is bypassed to allow only the returning external control to drive its sound engine - midi 101

2 Likes

He’ll still play octa from sub again

He wants to play octa from sub while seq from octa.
If he turns off incoming notes…he cant play octa from sub. Midi - 201

you don’t turn off incoming notes - you only stop the potential that a sound on the Sub is played twice (i.e. it doesn’t play the sound itself and then play it a millisecond later from the OT sequence - local control off on a sound generating controller is for external sequencing) it’s just something for the op to try to possibly reduce the midi plumbing issues

local control off only disconnects the controller keys from the controller’s own sound engine - the triggering is delayed - without knowing all the plumbing it’s hard to be sure - but it’s right to be looking to record to the OT on auto channel as explained

1 Like

Can you setup up key zones on sub? And can they be assigned to a channel?

Sure…but it aint gonna werk.

thanks for the help - for now i will skip recording into octa so i can record A4 and sequence SUB from octa - and add my notes manually into the octa… not the best solution but keeps me somewhat in a flow

Yes. Not only does the Sub 37 have a Local Control switch, but it can set Local Control independently for its keyboard, wheels, and panel controls. It can also set different MIDI channel numbers for sending and receiving MIDI data.

You will have to be very careful with settings on all devices to avoid conflicts.

If I were in your situation, I would try the following:

Physical connections:
S37 MIDI Out to OT MIDI In.
OT MIDI Out to AF MIDI In.
AF MIDI Thru to AR MIDI In.
AR MIDI Thru to S37 MIDI In.

On the S37:
Set the MIDI Out channel number to match the OT’s Auto Channel number.
Set the MIDI In channel number to a different number than the Out channel.
Set Local Control to ‘Off’ for all functions.
Disactivate the ‘Send Clock’ and ‘Send st/Stp’ features.

On the OT:
Set up one MIDI sequencer track to send on the channel number you want for the S37.
Set up another MIDI sequencer track to send on the channel number for the Analog Four’s auto channel.

On the AF and AR:
Temporarily switch off all MIDI receive functions except clock and transport.

By selecting the appropriate MIDI sequencer track on the OT, and then selecting the appropriate track on the AF, you will be able to send MIDI messages from the S 37 via the OT to the S 37 or the AF as you desire.

The OT will be the clock source for the AF, AR, and (if you want) the S 37.

Try this out and let us know how it goes.

6 Likes

Wow,
Thank you so much!
I spent hours trying to do this (even bought a Midi Thru Box at some point) but now it all works just as i expected it! This has to be the best Forum on the internet :wink:
Thank you very much!

2 Likes