Midi question

I want to use my faderfox EC4 with some gear but also wanted to sync that gear with a Digitone. I could probably do it using usb midi, but was thinking about when I do CPUless gigs. Any ideas. Im new to the Faderfox world.

Some little MIDI merger box, to merge the Faderfox MIDI with the MIDI out of the DN?

Thats what I was thinking, but Id also need a midi splitter, or whatever, to send the faderfox to devices that strangely dont have an out or thru. Wonder if these two, merge/splitter boxes could co-exist without stepping on each other’s shoes.

Check out the Blokas Midihub.

6 Likes

Retrokits also have some handy midi devices. Rk-004, or Rk-006

3 Likes

I just got one but didn’t have the time to configure it yet. Yes, that’s a good soluton. I have a quite similar situation as @jdaddyaz.

2 Likes

mioXM will do all that for you, easy routing and presets that can be used without a computer!:+1:

1 Like

go for two boxes from midisolutions: quadra thru + quadra merge.

Kenton over midisolutions any day of the week, midi solutions is powered over MIDI which can cause problems.

1 Like

sure if you don’t know how to deliver enough power over midi you’ll get problems and you should go with kenton + more cables. power over midi is a really handy feature otherwise.

Well it of course depends on the midi devices you use, and not so much on the knowledge on delivery enough power. You’r knowledge does not change that some devices will require more power or give out less than is needed. So some combinations might not work, while others might.

Kenton also has better build than the midi solution boxes, which also was one of the reason i returned the MS boxes and got Kenton.

i think that was the case with the older line of midisolution boxes. the newer ones are called “multivoltage” and will work with all gear with a proper MIDI implementation, whether they deliver 5V or 3.3V over MIDI . http://www.midisolutions.com/products.htm

1 Like

That’s wrong. Multivoltage has nothing to do with power delivery but is required to fit to the old and the new MIDI transport standard (different signal levels).

Power delivery is all about how much current a device can draw at the defined level (voltage) and at least the original MIDI transport standard has no minimum current defined, because it wasn’t meant to deliver power for devices in between (just enough power for the optocoupler at the other end of the line).

A device which delivers just a few mA as MIDI loop current does completely fulfill the original MIDI transport standard (is a proper MIDI device), but of course won’t power midisolution boxes.

1 Like

@jdaddyaz
I’ve got a few various boxes from here and they all work like a dream.
He’s a one man band and a thoroughly decent bloke.
Good to support the little guy (not that Kenton are big, but you know what I mean)
http://www.mindburner.co.uk/

1 Like

it most definitely has something to do with power supply. to receive power from 3.3V gear a device needs to handle 3.3V signals in the first place. then we can talk about minimum current needed. previously devices which provided plenty of current wouldn’t power it up only because they were 3.3V. with the new ones you get compatibility with all gear to receive power. of course you will not succeed powering a midisolution box from your pocket calculator, but that’s not exactly a deal breaker.

plug and play!