Midi Processors with Octatrack

Indeed! Wow! Nice lightshow with the trigleds.

(I need some extra lives just to explore all te possibilities, or find a way to make a living of it…)

1 Like

So how do you make poly? :wink:

See here: OT as Polyphonic sampler (8 voices) with Nord G2

This is a really interesting topic. What would you advise as a one stop box for this? I haven’t done this before , but the more i watch and read about it , its something i want to get into!
I don’t mind getting my hands dirty with programming as i originally trained up to be a software engineer.

Hard to tell.
I find Event Processor very logical, easiest for me. Some limitations.
Rk002 is cheap can be programmed with arduino language, some things to install. An easier interface would be nice. Check RK004 and RK005 too.
Midipal needs online application, I can’t stand this (maybe possible to download the online web).
IConnectMidi4 is very limited but it is USB to midi, merger, dispatcher, Ipad things…
Axoloti is very interesting, synth, sampler…
Bomebox seems really good, many rules options I think I’ll buy it one day.
MEP4 is cheap, 100% hardware, but it’s incredibly huge for what it does.

I’d check Event Processor Plus and Bomebox at first.

1 Like

For sure the G2 is not a one stop box. But if you can find one: it’s a faboulous machine, that can replace a lot of other stuff.

1 Like

I think Bome box seems the most interesting. However i wish there was one that could mod multiple synths at the same time. or is that still possible?

If you just want to toy around a bit you can download the trial version of

https://www.bome.com/products/miditranslator

That’s the same software which runs on the Bomebox, but usable on a normal computer. The only restriction of the trial version is a 30 minute timeout, so you have to restart it every 30 minutes. Quite useful to try some ideas before buying and see how it works out.

Update:

And the Bomebox software can handle as much MIDI channels/devices as you want. There are no restrictions. IMHO it’s really the most sophisticated solution (at least when you can program).

2 Likes

Yeah bomebox seems the most advanced, with a good editing software. You have to get used to “rules” (conditions). But it seems logical.
Probably my next one. Seems easier than EPPlus to create variables to set on / off or modify your scripts without computer.

Retrokits Rk002 can be really advanced in programming, but you have to write and understand language.

1 Like

Oi! Anywere to read or watch a video about this, u know? Im scared by this loopback stuff, tried with the DT and all kinds of bad weirdness went down…again, thank you!

About poly? Same principle as DT. Notes of a chord are split with different channels.

Midi loopback is pretty safe with OT.
If a midi track shares an audio track channel, the midi track can’t receive midi and the audio track can’t send midi.

With DT from I read midi loopback it’s doable, if you don’t use double stop. A script is done for poly with RK002 and DT.

2 Likes

Answering here. :wink:
Did you already to programmed the RK002?

This is just an idea I had answering you to differentiate midi informations for each audio track from a single midi track : using notes 36-43, you can map each note velocity to a CC with a different midi channel, and 1 (2 or 3) lfo depth.
In that case, audio tracks have different channels.

Many possibilities!
You can map other notes velocities.

You can map certain CC number range to certain midi channels :
CC 16-23 channel 1 > mapped to 8 x CC16 (Pitch), with channel 1-8

You can map a specific CC value ranges.
Ex with pitch CC16 channel 1, chromatic values Octave 1 :
Values 0-11 mapped to values 0-60 CC16 channel 1
Values 12-23 mapped to values 0-60, CC16 channel 2

5 Likes

But does it sound particulary different than a crossfader in the middle of two AandB scenes ?
I think time again I miss something !
I practiced a lot of your tricks but everymonth you find new things to do with this machine :space_invader::robot:

1 Like

Easy for you to set a pitch in the middle position? Not for me. :slight_smile:
The purpose is to set constant values, and modulated ones.
Same exemple with same pitch +12 for scenes A2 and B2. Different filter settings.
It let you modulate the filter, jump to 1 octave up, without modulating the pitch.
Go back to A1 B1 for normal pitch.

1 Like

It works pretty well.

EDIT: forgot to check the dates.

1 Like

Hey Elektronauts!

I am new here as an active member, did a lot of reading so far :slight_smile:
Heads up: I have a setup with a BomeBox (shoot away if you have questions @sezare56 ), DN and some analogs. As I play guitar and sing, I’d love to trigger patterns that are longer than 64 steps at times with my foot controller. The octatrack could do a lot for me (also for perf. mixer/scenes reasons, else i could get a Squarp Pyramid…). Currently, we have a click on in ear and the DN sequencer is running constantly in an empty 1 bar pattern. Thus if I want to trigger a sequence I simply send a PC message during the bar before I want a sequence to start and one to return back to the empty pattern. Now I was wondering if this method could be used with the OT for longer than 64 step patterns by one of the following methods:

A) Use a very slow running pattern on DN with PC locks to trigger patterns on OT (patterns wouldn’t have a huge complexity)
B) Work with arranger mode on OT by having an empty infinite 1 bar loop to jump back to via SPP and draw up pattern chains in there (or is there a way to enter/exit arranger mode via ext. controller, I could use any MIDI command possible with the BomeBox :wink: )
C) Is there a way to do pattern chaining from an external controller on the OT? I could also send a “stack” of messages from BomeBox with a button press to chain the patterns every time…
D) Other better ways?

Thanks a lot already & cheers,
Chris

@Wulli thanks, a bomebox is not my priority, maybe one day. I wouldn’t warp my head about it before having it, and it’s possible to test the software.

So you’d want to trigger or play several OT patterns? The simplest is to use Arranger and select a row with a several pattern loop imho.

SPP messages have to be sent on the right timing if you want to chain 2 loops.

DN with a 1/8 scale should work too.
You’d need a midi processor for SPP send only from what you asked…

1 Like

OK, thanks for the reply! So the SPP message will change to the pointed position instantly or does it adhere to a structure, e.g. after the current played pattern is done?

Does my one-stop MIDI box exist:

event processor (?multiple)
merge/thru
min 2 in, 4 out (6 would be good)

Right now I have a MIDI solutions merge only, and 2 rather complex midi chains!

• Bomebox
  • MIDI Translator Pro
  • Powered USB Hub
  • Class Compliant USB to DIN MIDI Interface (such as MIDITech)

You would also be able to power/connect/use USB MIDI via the Hub.
You would be able to create routing options that can be changed Preset style or from pretty much any MIDI Event.

Granted it’s not a ‘one-stop MIDI box’, but you could fix that with some duct tape and leftover cardboard from an Amazon order. Note: I have a 1/2 shelf in a rack case (with rack synths) that holds a BomeBox, hub, 2x2 interface, 5 port thru with double sided foam tape - effectively a rackmount unit that does the above.

Caveat: For the extra special stuff (conditional routing, rechannelising, loading/storing variables, device feedbacks, etc) you’d need to ‘learn’ MIDI Translator Pro, but there are many people excited about helping on the Bome forums and elsewhere.

Edit to Add: This is probably not an option if you are ethically against computers. MIDI Translator scripts need to be created on the computer and then uploaded. In my rig, I have a couple cables that I put one way for the laptop to do the BomeBox duties while I edit scripts, then I swap the cables around, upload the script, and the laptop is out of the mix.

1 Like