MIDI problems

Hey there,

sorry for the ambiguous title, but I don’t know how to shortly describe the strange problems I’m facing. I have the M:S since some time now and I’m worried that it broke in some very strange way.

When I try feed a MIDI clock sync through the device (from a source to MIDI TRS input, syncing the M:S, and sending it on to TRS out) it only works when the M:S is also plugged in via USB. Please note, I’m specifically talking about the TRS output, not the MIDI-over-USB, but still it only works when plugged in via USB (I now, it really shouldn’t be like this, right?). Also note on/off messages and even CC via the encoders doesn’t seem to work either, no matter through which output. I even did a full factory reset (and re-set the MIDI settings to what I wanted) to make sure nothing funny is going on, but I’m stumped. I’m 100% sure at least using the encoders CC messages over USB did work at some point (edit: and they still do).

All in all, this is very strange behavior and I wondered if someone has a clue on what may be going on. I tried checking this in various ways (via other MIDI gear, different MIDI interfaces, Ableton, MIDI OX) and it didn’t seem to matter.

btw I’m using the official Elektron TRS adapters that came with the unit and I’m quite certain that they work and I’m using the right polarity setting, as at least the MIDI clock signal comes through (if USB is connected …). FW version is latest, 1.13

Happy to provide more info or testing data if it makes sense.

Cheers

update: sorry, I think I messed up earlier with missing some settings (or reflashing the firmware fixed something). MIDI over USB seems totally fine.

Ok, seems odd.

Probably need a tiny bit more information to rule out settings being the issue (fucking TRS midi bullshit).

Apologies for all the parts of this that are obvious to you, but best to be thorough…

Just to make sure I’m following, you’re trying to clock the M:S from an external source via TRS midi, right?

If so, make sure you have the USB unplugged then power cycle. Go into the config menu and, in the midi ports section, make sure that INP FROM and OUT TO are both set to MID (midi), as we only want to test the midi ports are working.

Also make sure that you have the midi out port set to either out or thru, depending on what your setup requires.

Input polarity is a non-issue, so set output polarity as required, shouldn’t be affecting it’s ability to receive clock anyway.

In the MIDI FILTER section, make sure that ENCS is set to I + E, this should address the sending/recieving of notes CCs.

Finally, ensure that whatever is sending clock to the M:S is also sending transport too, as M:S won’t do much without that transport message, but doesn’t have a separate setting for receiving it like the digis and such.

Not suggesting you haven’t already done all of this, just making sure we’re on the same page.

Also, probably the most obvious, but have you ruled out a dodgy adaptor or cable?

thanks for replying!

Also, probably the most obvious, but have you ruled out a dodgy adaptor or cable?

Pretty sure, yep.

Apologies for all the parts of this that are obvious to you, but best to be thorough…

Just to make sure I’m following, you’re trying to clock the M:S from an external source via TRS midi, right?

No worries, there are a lot of variables involved heh. Yes, that is what I want. I think I wasn’t very clear in explaining that I also want to send the clock signal to the MIDI out, in addition to syncing to M:S to it.

So receiving clock through the MIDI input is now working fine with your instructions, it’s just that for sending it (as well as any other MIDI message) still only works if the USB is plugged in (no matter if using OUT or THRU mode). CLK in and CLK out is ON.

I’m now questioning if this is even intended to work - on the other hand, it’s still super strange that it works when connected to USB (albeit not using MIDI over USB, ironically).

Ugh, okay now I feel dumb. I just tried it with my actual hardware setup and it seems to work now. Looks like my setup to trace down the issue was not working in itself m(

So to conclude, clock signal to TRS MIDI input, syncing the M:S works. Sending that clock further to other gear via the TRS MIDI output also works. Both without USB connected (I could swear this was needed earlier today as well, in my hardware setup).

I’m actually not sure if re-flashing the firmware did solve anything in the end, maybe it’s just been too many hours now of me staring at this problem.

Thanks so much for helping out!

1 Like

Fantastic news.

It’s always the fucking way with midi gear. Every now and then it just eludes all logic for a bit then suddenly works again after some pissing about and crying.

Glad it’s all working.

1 Like

So maybe you had the midi out port set to out instead of thru, meaning the clock signal didn’t get passed onto the other devices?

1 Like

So maybe you had the midi out port set to out instead of thru, meaning the clock signal didn’t get passed onto the other devices?

Could be! I think it should have worked either way though (if CLK IN and OUT were set to ON - which is definitely what I intended but maybe still missed somehow).

2 Likes