MIDI problem : no IN chan / OUT chan in midi menu

Hello !

It’s the first time I wanna use midi.
I want to use the model:sample to sequence my MicroBrute.

I find a super quick and easy video tutorial : “Model Samples / Cycles: How to midi sequence external gears” on Youtube
and at this point I was like “ok, it’s time to try this !”
but it seems it’s not sooo easy for me…

I read the manual and many stuff about it in forums but I notice something mysterious :
in the midi menu (3/7) I have : sync (1/4) - channels (2/4) - ports (3/4) - filter (4/4)
and it seems that « normally » it’s more like : sync 1/5 - In Chan 2/5 - Out Chan 3/5 - ports 4/5 - filter 5/5
(In the video it’s that way, in many explanations on this forum or others to……….)
BUT I have only this « Midi Channels » in the MIDI menu and I can’t see « In Chan » or « Out Chan »
It is normal ?

I think something is wrong…? Any other parameter somewhere else to change ? But what ?

Sorry it sound really basic, and I’m not deep in this kind of stuff… I wanna try because it looked so easy (LOL !!!)

Thank you so much if you can help :black_heart:

Sounds like you may be running old firmware, because for me the midi page has “3/8” not the “3/7” you see.

When you start it up what’s the number that’s show briefly at bottom right ? I’m on the latest firmware and it shows me “1.13” in that corner.

I suspect you can still do what you want on the old firmware but it looks to me like the exact instructions you’re trying to follow don’t apply to your firmware.

1 Like

Hi bibenu !
Thank you for the quick reply.

I suspected that and yes : I’m on 1.00 firmware version………

Do you recommend an upgrade ? (to make things easier)

If you want to follow current tutorials (and have current firmware) then it’s best, otherwise the manual pertaining to firmware 1.00 should have correct information on the menu structure. It’s not going to break the machine to run an older version but you may encounter issues like this or be missing out on upgrades, fixes, or features when you do. I don’t know enough about M:S to tell you the difference between 1.00 and 1.13 but usually the firmware page on the elektron website will have a file or a readme portion that tells you the changes made between versions so you can at least look at that. If you only have the newest manual version (1.13), then it could be difficult and you may want to look for the date the firmware was released and find a youtube tutorial older than that date.

1 Like

Wait a minute ! OMG !
Without change anything but just upload a new project it seems to work and be connected !
Wow !

Anyway, an upgrade is maybe still a good thing to do !

And yes, thanx @shigginpit . I have a more recent manual version and it’s not the best to follow instructions ha

so, this problem is solved and hopefully I don’t have to ask 1000 more questions (right now :slight_smile: )!
I’m excited to delve a little deeper into all of this

It’s good that it works because I’ve just looked and 1.00 became 1.02 (and so on) in 2019, so it would be difficult to get the old manual. Looks like a lot of upgrades since then so maybe look over the information and consider upgrading when you have the desire. Glad it worked though.

Support & Downloads for Model:Samples | Elektron

Release Notes for Model:Samples OS | Elektron

1 Like

Agreed. @swan_bitume any time you need answers (from the manual, from youtube videos, from people here) then things will only be smoother if you upgrade to the latest firmware first.

1 Like

Yes, I’ll do it !

Thank you very much @bibenu @shigginpit

2 Likes