MIDI patch selection problem (& solution)

I’ve had some issues syncing the DT with other gear (specifically selecting patches), and wasn’t sure if it’s an issue with the gear itself or the DT sequencer - but wanted to share the solution I found in case it helps others. I haven’t seen this exact fix anywhere, but it’s working for me - so may save you some valuable time :man_shrugging: If there’s an easier way, let me know.

The issue: Was trying to get DT select a specific patch from my synth module (Micromonsta. Had a similar issue with Waldorf Pulse). Set the bank number, and program number from the SRC menu. Also tried locking a CC #32 (bank select) value to the first trig, and even to a trigless trig in front of any trigs, in case there was a ‘delay’ in MIDI info being sent. This would change the patch… sometimes. But not always. Sometimes it would either select a random patch or the first ‘blank’ patch available. Not good enough.

Solution: seems some synths only respond to the bank/program selection reliably if you change them first, rather than leave them as a default in the SRC menu. So the trick is to put a trigless trig (FUNC + TRIG) on the first step, and p-lock this to a different bank and program in the SRC menu (doesn’t matter which, there will be no sound as it’s trigless). THEN p-lock the first trig you use to the bank and program needed.

Bit of a pain and you then might also need to micro-time the first trig to nudge it left if it lands on the first step of the sequence… but it works!

2 Likes

How about midi device doing DG’s job?
https://www.bome.com/products/bomebox

Thanks, this looks useful but a bit overly complicated / not really required for my setup. Was hoping there was just an easy way to do something that should really be quite simple, i.e. select patches on a synth unit!

1 Like