Midi out midi in how to? (How to control audio track from midi track?)

strong textSo i thougt…
I can make variations in my amen break
But turning off my sequencer of the track with the amen
And turn on midi channels

From these channels, i want to send midi data from the output to the input
I think midi settings are okay
(Input and output on midi) but dont understand the program output to chose for either cc or nrpm, i think i need both

But i dont succeed sending notes from the midi trigs of the midi channel
Into my audio channel with my amen in it

Did anyone succeed?
What to do with both cc and nrpn?

Why many cc Numbers like cc81 are not there?

@Bobeats what about a video about this? Your video’s help me a lot

2 Likes

No one?

don’t have a lot of time right now but want to show this in depth… it’s not rocket science, you just have to set up the midi config correctly, e.g. in sync, disable clock/transport receive/send to make sure it doesn’t spam the connection. If you want to sequence program changes, disable program change send (because you will send these commands from the midi sequencer instead).

In MIDI port config, set input & output to midi. Output channel: TRK channel. Encoder, trig, mute dst: INT. Receive notes/cc: ON.

one quirk is, the audio tracks don’t seem to receive midi notes on their own channels (1-8) while you have selected any midi track (???). Which means, as long as you work on a midi sequence which targets an audio track, you don’t hear the sequence! Need to select one of the audio tracks, then you hear it.

nevermind the NRPN/CC setting - this affects only the output of normal encoder tweaks in the tracks, and allows sending of high-resolution parameters. The MIDI tracks send regular CCs, and the audio tracks also listen to them. What you don’t get, is high-resolution control. Though you could set up NRPN sequencing in the MIDI tracks as well, needs 4 CCs per parameter. But ignore that for now! :slight_smile:

also read this: Generative, mutating pattern chains

5 Likes

So basic sequencing: go to a midi track, src/assign page, press func + chan, select channel 1-8 for any of the audio tracks. Then just put down some notes.

now: the default note in a midi track is C5, this is too high for the audio tracks to accept it, they receive notes from C1 to B4, so adjust the notes to be in this range.

4 Likes

It works, but i have a new problem

3 things i did wrong:
Transfer midi was turned on
My midi was selected (is this a mistake/bug? I dont see how it makes sense)
I used C5, didnt work

Current problem: my Digitakt freezes when i connect the midi cable to in and out :frowning:

1 Like

yea I’m having it freeze when I hit double-stop, despite not sending/receiving transport.

Still, definitely disable clock & transport send/receive!
the crashers on midi-in have been acknowledged multiple times and a new OS should be out soon…

4 Likes

also
, the playback of the recorded midi data is on a different octave, how do is set this to In Equals Out

I dont care about collor
I do care about midi out --> midi in
It works very well, only when i press stop twice (its in my muscle memory so i do that a lot), my Digitakt freezes.

So it does work…
And it is amazing for making fills

2 Likes

yea it absolutely works. LFOs, p-locked CCs, notes, program changes.

2 Likes

So when p locking program changes on midi track
I can actually create some kind of song mode?

Or what do people think of to use this?

1 Like

yea! give the generative-pattern-chains thread a read!

1 Like