MIDI OUT Confusion

I was curious about what you wrote here. I agree that it’s clear, in retrospect, that polyphony and Overbridge were planned developments for the Analog Four. On what basis can you “assure” people that MIDI sequencing is planned for the AF? Do you have inside information or are you just speculating?[/quote]
You know the old saying, when you “assure” you make an ass of u…?
Or something like that-
I’m laughing at the users who are just positive they know the inner workings and programming decisions that Elektron made.

opinions and assurances are interchangeable with expectation and hopes here it seems - and tbh cynicism is one of the most fatiguing things you can read online
further to simon’s clarifications which should calm y’all down a bit: you can’t just keep throwing data out on a line that can easily be saturated with a lot of midi data already, remember, the A4/K (and some of AR) are working with 14bit data and a shitload of parameters too, adding to that may note be a great plan for timing etc, not to mention the fact that the A4/K/R are the first to use such small screens, it might just be a pita to make that work the way it does on say the OT as they probably wouldn’t want to do it half-baked - it’s also a bit naive to think they’re not entitled to make their products have USP so they can survive/thrive
an option would be a bonus for sure but there’s no point in getting worked up about such a first-world problem - it’s not happening anytime soon
i wish they’d put a clock divider on the sync-24 out, a few would appreciate that, it could happen very easily, but i don’t get worked up about it because it ain’t gonna make any difference or do me any good; reading all the pointless commentary about folk having kittens about OB not being out is in the same boat afaic
having said all that, the fact that the OT spiel no longer makes a fuss about pickup machines is something which unsettles me wrt user expectation and marketing transparency - it was a factor in my selection, prior to the info being pulled

I just used Tempest as an example but there are many more analog synths whose digital sequencers do external midi sequencing: Evolver (in a basic fashion), FR Revolution, 777, Timbre Wolf etc.

Why? I would have thought external midi sequencing is exactly what the Keys/A4 needs to add different (digital/sampled) audio textures not possible by the device itself? Cv/gate sequencing means more likely to just add more analog sounds unless you use something like a Eurorack with a digital oscilator and even then that’s only monophonic. Imagine being able to layer a Waldorf XT with the Analog (poly) using it’s sequencer - would be lush.[/quote]
I’ll be honest mate, I don’t really want to get into this one much further. It’s only going to get dragged into some Overbridge-esque rant/disappointment fest.
What I would say is that the OT has a dedicated midi function that can “only” manage 8 tracks of 4 note polyphony. This was built in from the start. Whether A4 midi was “hinted” at (assuredly…) or not doesn’t matter - from current circumstances it is little more than an afterthought that would raise a heap of questions should it ever materialise. How would a midi sequencer function on the A4 (for example)? How would polyphony be managed? 4 tracks of 4? 1 track of 4+? Would a track need to be sacrificed? If so, which? etc etc etc. I guess I’m pointing out that we’re asking (expecting?) something to be implemented that will most likely end up being bulky/disappointing. If it was easy to develop then it would have turned up by now and certainly before OB.
I don’t mean to be dismissive but the bottom line is that if midi sequencing is of such importance then why would anyone buy an A4/AK? You’re never going to enjoy it fully!

It doesn’t need to send loads of parameter locking (etc) data to midi out, just the notes and a few cc’s. Not sure the screen size matters - they should be able to fit all that’s needed on to it. The main midi interface screen of the Monomachine is 8 knobs and the performance screen of the Analog is 10 knobs and works fine - what’s the prob?

They all have that anyway and external midi sequencing isn’t ‘unique’ to one Elektron machine, loads of them do it already.

Nobody’s “getting worked up” as far as I can see.

There’s no reason to believe that at all - it isn’t like that in the Monomachine, say, so why would it be in the Analog?

Having external midi sequencing would massively improve the Keys/A4 and, has been said a few times in this thread, would mean it could become the heart of a hardware synth rig rather than being mostly an add-on as it is now. It’s still a good synth though and worth owning - it just could be better :slight_smile:

So what u are actually asking for is a midi-sequencer customisid to your personal needs as it “only” needs to send "notes and e “few” cc’s "???
It dousnt’ have to be a descent and well-featured No - JUST the way YOU want it to be. HA HA…
If it’s not deep enough for other users - well that’s not your problem. Bet hey it seems you know very well what most people need :confused: how it should be ,;;; how easy it is to install etc…
Maybe you’re not getting " worked up " but I am…

When I had an A4 I wished it had a MIDI SEQ Out feature roughly comparable to the CV/Gate options of the CV track, no more - no less. A fully-specced MIDI output would be an unreasonable expectation.

Even the bare minimum of Note On / Note Off perhaps with velocity would at least open up the possibility of sequencing the vast amount of hardware that doesn’t support CV/Gate. I don’t think too many people would complain if CCs were omitted, particularly if they didn’t fit with the workflow and interface. It would be cool to have a couple for sure (each one replacing a CV output in sequencer UI terms) but not disastrous if they’re not there.

and I assure you that MIDI SEQ out is planned for these machines also, even if in a simple manner. At the very least I’d say MIDI SEQ out would have been an option to keep in mind for later down the track…

If not, what a waste of a bloody nice MIDI out port…

What really happened with the post-release development of the A4 is another brilliant Elektron marketing ploy, where they release unfinished instruments with latent but incomplete capabilities inside the machine, sell large batches, and then finish the machine off in their spare time. But hey, if people buy beta machines (like I do) then that is what you do. You spread your R&D over a period of time, which is critical for a small company like this. Like I said earlier, you work out what you DON’T have to provide your customers and Elektron totally gets away with this one.

I’d assure you that, in Elektron’s case, their marketing budget would have increased exponentially compared to the R&D or customer services departments over the past two years.
I love Elektron machines, but I am not under any illusions that this is anything but a commercial enterprise, the choices of which are determined massively by bottom line profit. It may have been different a few years back when it was a few guys tinkering in a garage, and that is a great back story to sell to generate empathy in your customers (who by and large tend to be on the more “misunderstood” spectrum of electronic music makers), but it is most certainly not that anymore.

You are so damn shure of a lot off things, aren’ you ?
Before accusing - if it’s a person or a company - shouldn’t you be shure ,- but hey you are - why do I ask ? Otherwise it’s an opinion and then that’s how you should call it.
I hope for you nobody will treat you like this in the future - and that they respect the truth whenever they talk about you.
If someone assures me something and it ends up being false - I feel like being screwed. It’s also a matter of respect towards the people u are adressing to.
All I read is " most certanly - I assure etc… and on what basis ?
In the same way you are shure a midi -port is a waiste without a midi-sequencer ?
Every company wants to make profit - if they do this in a honest way … where is the problem ?

What a meaningless and disrespectful post. What is this forum turning into? It’s becoming a bitter little place to make meaningless arguments.

If you disagree with my opinion, feel free to spell out why, intelligently and with some clarity. If you do, maybe we all can learn something from you.

1 Like

What good will ears do you if you don’t listen?
Eyes if you don’t look ?
I try to be as clear as possible - not because I’m bitter - it’s because I want to help.
Why is this meaningless or unrespectfull ?

you wrote - "It’s a clever ploy to get you to buy more equipment, really. There’s nothing more to it than that. "
Isn’t this bitter and unrespectfull ?

This is getting stupid.

Go find some one else to troll.

Selfknowledge is the beginning of all wisdom :heart:

Yeh, certainly seems a bit hypersensitive there. But then again, it often seems to be that way with people complaining about “disrespect”.

If you are going to provoke people, then dont cry like a baby when it bites you in the ass.

1 Like

If you have some evidence of me provoking people then please, by all means, share.

If not, why don’t you make an effort to stick to the subject at hand. You can try to bait me personally but it just makes you look childish ay.

I agree. Judging from the love heart it seems as if you have applied some to yourself.

Keep it up. Add some insightful comments to the thread, please.

Eh? I don’t mind really, it can be as minimal or as “deep” as Elektron choose to implement it - I just want it to exist.
Not sure what you’re on about with the rest of your post - “install” what exactly?

Eh? I don’t mind really, it can be as minimal or as “deep” as Elektron choose to implement it - I just want it to exist.
Not sure what you’re on about with the rest of your post - “install” what exactly?[/quote]
What I mean is that it could be much more complex to add a midisequencer than you think. -
SIMON from Elektron wrote / The main issue is that the sequencer on the Four, Rytm and Keys is in a completely different “language” than MIDI. Whether is it difficult or not to implement MIDI, I don’t know, but I do know that it would be very time consuming. We can’t simply re-use old code since the machines are completely different.

However, we are well aware that basically everyone want this feature.

It could be… but then it also could not be. Even Simon from Elektron says he doesn’t know but he does say that it is possible.

The other important thing from his post is that Elektron are aware that “everyone wants it” (even you vos :wink: ) so that says to me that they intend to implement it and sooner rather than later. I mean if implementing it would essentially please all of their current customers and at the same time vastly improve the Analog machines and their appeal to potential new buyers, why would they not?

God, some people are delusional.

How the hell do you get from “we are aware everyone wants it” to “it will be added sooner than later”?
Have you seen the pages and pages of feature requests for every Elektron device? Are you sure they are going to add all those features, just because the people want them?

I’d imagine Elektron would put more resources into developing new features that everyone wants over ones that only a few users want don’t you think?