MIDI NOT BEING SENT (when in audio mode)

Limited only by the number of MIDI channels and tracks available. This is where the auto channel feature is so useful. Set up your next external synth on another MIDI sequencer track with another channel number and whenever you select the relevant track your controller will control the external synth. Or to do it your way, just change the MIDI channel number on the controller to match the channel number that you’ve set for the new synth.

1 Like

Auto channel method is OK if you work on one track at a time. Your method only had a problem because your audio track channel assignments blocked your MIDI track channel assignments.

1 Like

but now that I have all audio midi channels off ?
still same problem…

I edited my post for clarity. See above.

BTW if you don’t need to control the OT audio-channels with your external midi gear, you can disable this function. It’s in the MIDI/CONTROL dialog …

1 Like

One difference to keep in mind is though, with the Auto Channel you can control the parameters of the currently selected midi track with midi cc (note, velocity, lenghth, arp and the two pages of midi cc) and/or record/lock the parameters.
If you set your controller to the midi channel of the synthesizer, you control the synthesizer directly.

1 Like

Sure - it’s all making sense…

Was just under the assumption that if I set the Seaboard Midi Channel to the AUTO channel of the OT… It could then operate as a master keyboard. but this obviously requires having to select each midi track at a time. Wouldn’t make sense with multiple synths running. Which is now becoming clearer why it is how it is.
Still… the audio track midi channels through me a bit.

Apologies for the confusion guys and thanks for the help.

What if you set “direct connect” to on? That should be echoing the received midi to the midi out regardless of which track/channel is selected.

I think I tried that earlier - with no affect. but will try again.
thanks

It makes perfect sense. This (auto channel method) saves you from having to change MIDI channel on the Seaboard when you want to control another synth on a different track. See @Schnork’s post above for further advantages.

Your method requires you to change channel but gives you access to synths other than that on the active track.

1 Like

As far as I know CC DIRECT CONNECT only affects the routing of CC messages.

Indeed, you’re correct. My bad!

1 Like

perhaps dumb question: but whats the use of having midi channels assigned to the OT audio tracks?

You can play samples at pitches following a keyboard; you can control sample/track params with CC messages.

If you connect a cable from MIDI OUT to MIDI IN (“loopback”), you can use the OT MIDI sequencer, arp and LFOs to control the audio track params. (I’ve not tried it yet, but I imagine the LFOs and Arp are amazingly useful and fun in this configuration). This is also why the audio channel blocks MIDI to MIDI tracks when the channel numbers match. Without the block you’d get an out of control MIDI loop.

3 Likes

In addition to what @Octagonist already wrote:

The OT may also sent CCs on the audio MIDI channel of a track when you turn the encoders (depends on setting AUDIO CC OUT). This way you can externally record what you are doing manually on the device.

3 Likes

An option to send midi notes with audio tracks sequences would be nice though.
(Thinking about midi controlled VJ software).

You could achieve that with MIDI loopback too!

OT OUT -> VJ rig IN
VJ Rig THRU -> OT IN

(For some definitions of VJ rig)

Yes I know, but I makes things more complicated, with evntually the need of midi processing to filter some events, if you want to control external gear. Otherwise OT can freeze.

Or OT OUT > OT IN
OT TRU > VJ
That way you can make settings without VJ connected, and you don’t need to make soft thru setting in the VJ software / midi interface.

2 Likes

Oh yes. That’s better!

1 Like