MIDI NOT BEING SENT (when in audio mode)

Hi there - having trouble with midi notes not being sent when in Audio mode.
When I have MIDI selected and the correct track selected… the midi notes pass through (from external keyboard or via the OT sequencer)… but when I select another midi track or exit midi mode the notes stop passing through…

I am monitoring the synth via a THRU track.

It was all working fine the other day but now can’t get it back.
Iv’e searched through all the settings and tried a few changes.
Checked the manual - but not sure what I’m looking for.
Searched through this forum and can’t see same issue.

I’m sure it’s something simple and I’ll kick myself when I find out why…

Any suggestions?

Right… I did some more experimenting.
It turns out the midi keyboard works fine over MIDI THRU as a controller.
But then I can’t use the OT sequencer or Arp. That requires MIDI OUT.
I am 100% sure I had both working the other day - just using the MIDI OUT.
Where is the issue?

It’s not clear what gear you have, how it is connected, or what you want to achieve.

Thanks for chiming in…
As stated above.
I am using a midi keyboard to control an external synth via the OT.
If it helps, I’m using a Roli Seaboard…and a DSI Evolver Desktop. (yes all set up correctly)
It works as expected via the MIDI THRU - but not when using MIDI OUT into synth.
(which I need because I use the OT sequencer. )
Well it does work when i have that specific midi track selected.
But when un selected - No Midi passes through.
I am monitoring the synth on a THRU track - then to be used by FLEX or PU. (working fine)

Any suggestions?
Or is it still unclear?

Midi received by the OTs midi-in port and addressed to the OT Auto-Channel is re-routed inside the OT to the current “active midi track”. OT sends this to the midi-out port (not the through port) and on the midi-channel the “active track” is set to.

If we change the active track, the re-routing is changed to the new active track.

… this is the normal behaviour of the OT … see explanation above …

Maybe you should tell us, what you want to achieve and we can suggest a setup idea. BTW IIRC there have been a couple of similar questions discussed in the forum already.

2 Likes

What MIDI channel numbers have you set on the Seaboard and the Evolver?

What MIDI channels have you set for the OT’s audio tracks?
What MIDI channel have you set for the OT’s Auto channel?
What MIDI channels have you set for the OT’s MIDI sequencer tracks?

Thanks for your input SoundRider.

This may be… but I definitely had both operating the other day.
I was able to trigger my synth via the midi keyboard - whether or not the midi track was selected… using the midi out.

The Synth is set to midi channel 1 - I am using Midi track 1 - also set to channel 1.

There must be something in there I’m not setting correctly or is it in fact normal behaviour…?

Thanks again for input guys… :smiley:

What values are you using?

Look at the values in the PROJECT > MIDI > CHANNELS sub menu and report them here.

You should consider this …

• a midi-thru is only a copy and paste and generally speaking the machine delivering the midi-thru is not adding something of its internal midi.
  • the re-routing of the OT is a function, which we find in some a hardware midi sequencer too, but this is almost an internal process and the midi is sent out by the midi-out not the midi-thru

That you could control your gear with external midi-equipment using the midi-thru of the OT is also normal behaviour :wink: But it’s not the same as the re-routing function.

If you need more flexibility, you might want to consider to work with midi splitters and mergers.

Channel 11

I suggest that you set the channel number on the Evolver to match a channel number on the MIDI sequencer track that you’re using to sequence it. Also make sure that this channel number does not match any of the MIDI channel numbers set for the audio tracks.

2 Likes

This doesn’t seem necessary in the scenario described by the OP.

sorry guys… searching for midi sub menu… can’t find
whats there?

This I have done… Although still figuring out what the Audio Track midi channel setting is… and why…

The MIDI channel numbers for the audio tracks and the Auto channel number.

I’ve got the normal midi menu and the per midi track menu…
but sub menu?

So in the Midi Menu - where it has all 8 track corresponding with the 8 midi channels.
Is that for the audio tracks? I assumed that meant each midi track…

Yes.

It’s probably exactly as @PeterHanes said.

• Have the auto channel of the OT on a different channel than the midi-channels, which control the audio of the OT,
  • send your midi controller commands to the auto-channel of the OT
  • connect your gear to the midi-out of the OT (not the thru)
  • set each midi track of the OT to the midi channel of your gear

This makes it possible to record midi and play one of the attached synths through the active midi track of the OT … if this is, what you want …

1 Like