MIDI Loopback Video Tutorial for the Digitakt

So, piece of work…but I got it working today. Mostly with everything @kkooler said, plus: I also set the overall program change value of the midi track to 128. I have no idea why, but that did it for me. Maybe it helps

Ha ha holy shit dude. This is insane but it totally works. I just recently got into program changes because i was using them to change the pattern on my A4 from my DT and it got me thinking that you could use a midi loopback to unlock a song mode on this thing. So i started playing around with it and ran into the issue you were describing. Thanks dude this is awesome.

2 Likes

Thanks for reposting this here! I think I posted in DT Tips and Tricks, too.

Now that song mode is out, I’ve been working on a live resampling / baby Octatrack song/pattern template that’s working well so far, been testing out a few variations on the approach, stay tuned!

3 Likes

Wow great thx man. But I have a strange thing. It works just fine in the first Project I tried it on. Then I went back to another older project, did the exact same thing to some patterns - but nothing there. I can’t get it to work while its just running smoothly in the other project.
What is it that I could miss? Any Ideas?

Ha ha ha hey dude I’m just now seeing this. Thanks for using my trick and taking it to the next level (or honestly the next 3 levels) and thanks for giving me a shout out.

1 Like

Sounds really interesting. Is there a CC that turns on sampling then? I didn’t mess with CCs on it yet

Holy shit that would be awesome if there was. Or a midi CC that “arms” the sampler.

Oh man, I had an undiagnosed brain injury when I made this, got pulled way into a rabbit hole here.

@mrjayjayjay no, you can’t trigger sampling with CCs, and a fair amount of this video is obsolete since the 1.50 update. With the quantized record now, it is possible to set a length, hit the sampler (fn + direct) right on the 1, save without naming into a pre-populated track, and have (monophonic) Octatrack-style fun with it, though.

1 Like

Sounds fun! Ty

Hello.

So, I am trying this but not with much luck.

Rather than have the extra LFO and fx parameters, I want make variation/fill tracks using the same sounds I’m already using.

So, for example, track 7, I want to have a variation on track G.

• Track G has its midi channel set to 7 (same as track 7)

• All sync options are off

• Outputs and inputs are set to MIDI

• Param out to CC

• Encoders, trig and mutes set to INT

• Receive notes and CC ticked

When hitting Track G/trig 15 I get a stuck note of track 7 feeding back and I have to disconnect the loop. Track 7 plays fine when pressed.

Any ideas?

Cheers x

Woop! Sussed it.

It seems assigning track G to midi channel 7 in the Channel menu and selecting channel 7 in the SRC page caused the feedback.

I found out by changing the SRC page channel. Other audio tracks were triggered fine from track G due to their different midi channels.

I set track G’s channel to off in the Channel menu.

All is well.

Almost…