MIDI gate?

Just ordered a AH mk2. Had a quick look through the manual but can’t figure out if it does this…

Can I trigger gates via midi note on/off?
Can I trigger a filter envelope via midi note on/off?
Can I assign say a CC modwheel to control filter amount?

ta

1 Like

No.

No.

Not by Mod Wheel directly; the CC assignments for various parameters are given on page 34 of the manual.

You can also use MIDI NRPN messages, Control Voltage, and audio signals to control the AH.

2 Likes

cheers.

So I can just MIDI to CV in my euro and throw the gate in to trigger filters. That’ll work.

That might work. The AH does not have a Gate In, so you would have to ensure that the AH’s CV input responds appropriately or generate a CV, and send that to one of the modulation destinations given on page 35 of the manual.

So if the filter reacts to say an LFO CV input then a pitch CV input will set the filter level to whatever voltage the pitch is. Or I’ll just throw a midi to gate signal to an ADSR and go from there.

Don’t understand why they’d omit something so simple as midi trigger.

Hello,

Yes, Analog Heat MK2 will respond to CV Gate Input. Here is the setting you need:

SETTINGS > CONTROL IN > CONTROL IN A > CONTROL MODE = FOOTSW

FOOTSW DEST = ENV TRIG

I’ve used this by sending a midi note to Behringer Neutron, and then taking the CV Midi Gate from the Neutron to the Analog Heat via a 3.5mm TR to 1/4 TR cable, and it works.

I agree that the Analog Heat not responding to midi notes is an annoying design limitation.

Here’s one other detail you may be able to help me figure out:

I found the Analog Heat MK2 responds reliably to CV Gate input, (and knob movements are smooth) with this setting:

SETTINGS > MIDI > PORT CONFIG > ENCODER DEST = INT

Unfortunately, I found the CV Gate would get stuck ON after some trigger attempts (with the trigger active graphic constantly illuminated) and knob movements are not smooth with this setting:

SETTINGS > MIDI > PORT CONFIG > OUTPUT TO > MIDI (or MIDI + USB)
AND
SETTINGS > MIDI > PORT CONFIG > ENCODER DEST = INT + EXT

If you could try this on your Analog Heat MK2 and tell me if you see the same thing it’d be really helpful.

With those 2 settings active (no midi or usb cables connected to the Analog Heat MK2, no overbridge, and all other settings default out of the box):

Start turning the Filter cutoff knob continuously back and forth for about 30 seconds (look at the FLTR page for instance). Do you see the LCD graphics react smoothly at first, and then start pausing and restarting, like the CPU is getting overloaded, and the machine is trying to catch up with itself? I think the midi messages generated by the knobs are filling the midi buffer, and then when the buffer is full after a few seconds, the control signals become glitchy. Either that, or there is a problem with the unit I have. Unfortunately the pauses on the LCD screen affect the audio. This seems to cause a problem with the CV gate response too. Any confirmation of this behavior would be much appreciated. Here’s a video of what I see. Thank you:

1 Like

Mine hasn’t arrived yet. I ordered it 2 days ago and it’s still on pending. Mustn’t have stock or something?

Will have a look at it when it does and report back.

1 Like

Thank you, I very much appreciate it!

1 Like

It’s arrived , I finish work at 1pm tomorrow so I’ll look then.

1 Like

If you have time to give that setting a quick try and let me know if you see the same thing, that’d be much appreciated :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s not the time. It’s that I’ve plumbed all the cables through a rack vent into a desk and then behind on runners to the mixer, which is set up about 8ft away from the modular.

I’ll see if I have cables which reach, I have a multiple-star thingy I may be able to double up cable lengths with

I used a detachable headphone cable…Here’s the AH connected to a square wave LFO on the modular. It seems to have a decay envelope on it, it isn’t a hard start/stop as it should be, which is odd, or maybe something I’ve missed in a setting somewhere.

I don’t do the midi INT+EXT sends CC stuff as it has a habbit of turning settings on other synths I use.

With the settings to be controlled by Int+EXT it does the glitchy shit yours did. It pauses on the filter cut off.

It also glitches without any CV control cable attached. It’s a MIDI loop fault, it’s sending MIDI CC’s while receiving the same MIDI CC’s, only MIDI has latency so it’s confusing the AH. You need to configure your DAW filters so it doesn’t loopback.

AH needs a dedicated Local Off mode.

Thank you for giving it a try. It sounds like your unit behaves the same way.

There is no midi feedback possible in the experiment I did though, because no midi or usb cables were attached to the unit when I made that video. Only the power cable connected, no DAW involved.

My theory is: I think it is a design limitation involving the 5 pin Midi port only, and not faulty hardware. When sending CCs to “MIDI” the memory buffer or midi bandwidth is too small. The CCs are smooth for a few seconds (as the buffer fills up), then the glitching starts.

Sending CCs to “USB” only doesn’t glitch, probably because usb is a faster protocol with more bandwidth, so the buffer doesn’t fill up.
The unit is really designed for Overbridge with usb. The dual CCs the filter knob sends out provide more resolution but fill the buffer more quickly than a typical single CC knob.

I agree that midi feedback in other situations causes glitchy behavior and it’s a good thing to check for, including Local on off settings.

I’m going to keep the unit anyway, thank you for the sanity check!

I didn’t use a 5 pin. My AH is connected to the PC via USB. When I unplugged the USB the glitch stopped.

I guess in your case it may have been midi feedback via usb. I haven’t looked into a local on off setting. Maybe there is a daw setting that can be made to prevent midi feedback. The Overbridge setup seems to work well for some folks.