Midi controller for OT

I started buying some parts to build a controller based on this
http://store.highlyliquid.com/collections/midi-controllers/products/midi-cpu
but picked up a Novation Zero MkII at a good price which at the moment is working great with my Elektron boxes.
At some point I will build a controller but at the moment haven’t decided what would be the best layout for switches, pots etc.

The reason I went for midi-cpu was that it has midi connections, not USB, so doesn’t need to go via a computer.

I’ve had some luck with an iPad and Lemur. Setup is a hassle but then you’re done. The downside is of course it’s a touchscreen…

I would humbly suggest the Nektar Panorama.
I have created a template that gives you access to pretty much every MIDI controllable parameter.
Hardware Template: Elektron Octatrack
It’s a lot of fun to play. The track volumes and mutes are always mapped to the faders and buttons below the faders. You can trigger tracks samples and record tracks from the pads and you can play the sample on the currently selected track from the keyboard. You use presets to access the different parameter pages on the Octatrack and buttons have been assigned for easy preset selection.

Only the P4 and P6 have a MIDI Out jack but the P1 can be used with something like the Kenton USB Host or the original iConnectMIDI (that I what I use).

1 Like

Is anyone tracking the Arturia BeatStep? Looks like a pretty good match.

…looks nice… is it me or are the pads a bit too sensitive? (well,from what it looks like in the video :thinking: )

I’m interested in the Code.

I got a Novation Zero MkII, but it’s bloody huge; too big to take travelling. The Code looks like it’d be great with the Shruthi also, as well as with Audiomulch for any live computer stuff.

However this quote from the Sound On Sound review of it has me worried:

this is also how you’d use the Code as a ‘stand‑alone’ MIDI controller. (I’ve written ‘stand‑alone’ in quotes, because it needs to be attached to running MIDI software to function at all.)

It sounds like it won’t work at all unless attached to a computer. Surely not?

E D I T

Looks like the v2 model does indeed offer standalone use. Perhaps I’ll give it a try.

Interesting. I have thought the Livid stuff looked cool, but I would want it to work without a computer. I would be curious to know more about how that works standalone.

Okay, well unfortunately the Livid Code is a bust currently for the Octatrack. Shame, it’s a beautiful device and the customer service is fantastic.

The v2 firmware allows standalone power and some rather nifty features… BUT the controls all have to be on the same MIDI channel - useless for the Octatrack. The v1 firmware allows independent MIDI channel per control but no standalone power and the buttons can only be momentary - useless for the OT!

I’m looking for something I can take to shows with minimum extra weight and parts. Also something I can use with a Shruthi-1 as well as software. No USB-only boxes. No keyboard. Minimum of pads. Here’s what I’ve worked out so far with regards to my requirements

Machinewerks CS X51: Not enought sliders/rotaries (seriously why seven) also f’ing pricey.
Behringer BCR/BCF2000: Too big.
Octakontrol: Only eight control surfaces, almost 30Eu a fader! Also massive for what it is - if it’s only 8 controls and eight buttons I would prefer a palm size box with eight knobs.
Novation ZeRo SL MkI/MkII: Too big, felt super cheaply made, disgracefully stingy cost-cutting measure getting rid of the second screen for the MkII
All Akai stuff: Want faders/rotaries, not pads.
M-Audio UC 33e: Looks absolutely awful, cheaply made, M-Audio gear apparently sends extra “keep alive” MIDI notes that upset other gear.

At this rate the lightest/cheapest/smallest setup looks to be a Korg Nanokontrol with the Kenton box. I’ve tested it and it works quite well! No good if I want a synced OP-1 in the mix though, and no good for a Shruthi-1. Arturia Beatstep looks interesting (and the price is right) I suppose, less control surfaces than the Nano Kontrol though, and I hardly need a sequencer with an OT and a Machinedrum though…

What else is out there!?

I had a code and sold it immediately - the touch faders had inescapable stepping making fader rides or even filter sweeps impossible. Pity as the rgb pads are great for composing

@automating - thanks for reporting back on that.

No worries! This is seriously a ‘shut up and take my money!’ scenario. Anybody want to build one?

I like the bitstream controller! So full featured and a couple of midi lfo and a recorder/sequencer extra never hurts.

Old faderfox controllers? Seem to recall they were MIDI and they later switched to USB on newer models. Slightly bigger than your palm but crammed with buttons/knobs/faders…

yeah i’m hand building two at the moment using doepfer midi kits and all recycled/reclaimed materials for the enclosure just to keep cost down and because i like that kind of stuff

they’re not super cheap but not outrageously expensive either!

as yet, I have not found or added the perfect cheap buttons but at this stage it looks like i’ll go for mini arcade style buttons using microswitches as they are fairly large, about the same size as the octo trigger buttons with a similar lightly sprung feel, round or square, limited colour range mega reliable.

this one is limited to 8 audio track level 100mm basic aLPS faders with metallized chrome fader caps and 8 buttons simultaneously but ideally you may want 16 or more buttons for mutes of the audio and midi tracks and jamming around without getting to cerebral in front of the OT interface, its possible to add a toggle switch or function button to enable multiple programs

ps… i can do custom builds fo anyone requiring a solid midi controller dedicated for the OT

beautiful dark spotted gum hardwood endcheeks etc… encoders

if i got a few orders that were similar requests i could do a small run of lasercut faceplates/enclosures

to give you an idea of the costs involved, the buttons are between $3 and $10 each, 100mm faders are between $5 and $30 each or go for quality push button encoders $5 each then you need knobs and fader caps $1 - $5 each,
Doepfer 16 input midi kits $150 each, slightly more for digital. they can be daisy chained for more than 16 controller inputs.too… mix & match.
enclosures and faceplates would need to be quoted

as you can see the price starts to add up,
http://au.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx?Keyword=alps+100mm
if cost is no factor check out http://www.pennyandgiles.com/Products.aspx

to spark some outrageous controller ideas

in the pic you can see the two midi kits on the left, one analogue and one digital

PM me if you have any interest or ideas!

The Bitstream 3x is an absolute weapon of a controller, and is fully programmable with both midi CC’s and SysEx. I’d advise anyone who stumbled across one of these at a nice price to grab it.

All AFAIK:

v1 & v2 were Midi; v3 Midi/USB

I’ve been offered a “package deal” on five of them, so will probably grab those and see what I can do with them.

The big downside with the FaderFoxes is that the midi mappings are hardwired from factory… so you will have to figure out some smarts to get them playing nicely with your target device. Not an issue if you are using most software / Midi learn, or placing some smart box in between, like the R&W MiniCommand.

Oh, and I beleive all FaderFoxes can be run off 2x AA batteries as well.

Been using LC2 and LD2 with midibridge or mmp for the past 3 years.

TouchOsc and lemur will let you do a lot more than any of the hardware though.

Cannot recommend bitstream, had to return mine on the day i bought it, it would not even start up.

The Bitstream 3x is an absolute weapon of a controller, and is fully programmable with both midi CC’s and SysEx. I’d advise anyone who stumbled across one of these at a nice price to grab it.

All AFAIK:

v1 & v2 were Midi; v3 Midi/USB

I’ve been offered a “package deal” on five of them, so will probably grab those and see what I can do with them.

The big downside with the FaderFoxes is that the midi mappings are hardwired from factory… so you will have to figure out some smarts to get them playing nicely with your target device. Not an issue if you are using most software / Midi learn, or placing some smart box in between, like the R&W MiniCommand.

Oh, and I beleive all FaderFoxes can be run off 2x AA batteries as well.[/quote]
The UC3 is fully programmable but usb so you’d need a box in between capable of usb hosting…like the iconnect midi 4 + or the kenton usb host.

Would you believe that a couple of hours after updating my rant, I was at a friend’s place and he had a Bitstream 3x that he was selling?

$150 with the flight case! Weighs an absolute ton but seems extremely versatile, and so solid it makes the Elektron gear seem as flimsy as a Behringer effects pedal.

UC3 seems nice, but it’s USB only and has less controls than the Korg Nanokontrol.

Still looking!

• small (no bigger than the OT)
  • 5 pin MIDI out
  • more than 16 control surfaces
  • MIDI channels independently assignable

How is there not a thing here???

what about building one of those Livid modular midi things? will they work?

a bit $$$, something like $650USD for the one pictured here

but yes there is most definitely a gap in the market here. For me, besides the required tech specs as you listed above, 8 faders + 24 pots (3 rows of 8) would see me right, so the UC33 looks ok but I agree with the initial comments about it.

are these features not available on the Oktakontrol? it seems to be a good solution for the OT …
if i had an OT (and a bit more time :|), i would probably give it a try and see what i could come up with; may have a think about it though, would it be worth it?